New Sulcata Foster Parent, Would Appreciate Advice!

M

Maggie Cummings

Seems lethargic today. I can't wait until the temp gun gets here so I know if his temps are right, should be here by 8pm. Right now Im using a digital probe thermometer which isn't optimal.

He got a soak this morning first thing in 95F water and chowed down on some kale first thing when I put him in the tank then moved toediant the cooler side and has been sleeping for like 4 hours.

I feel like a new parent here, I have no idea what is normal behavior for these guys.

Babies sleep a lot. Don't make kale a main ingredient in his diet. They cause crystals that form stones. I killed my 125 lb. Bob by using kale daily and also dandelions. I thought the Vet killed him, but it was me. Know matter how much you know, it's never enough

vladimir

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
Babies sleep a lot. Don't make kale a main ingredient in his diet. They cause crystals that form stones. I killed my 125 lb. Bob by using kale daily and also dandelions. I thought the Vet killed him, but it was me. Know matter how much you know, it's never enough

@Maggie Cummings I'm so sorry about Bob. I've read so much about him - he was an incredible tortoise. May I ask, what changed your mind about the cause of death, from thinking it was the Vet to thinking it was diet related?

I just want to give our little guy the best conditions possible, so anything I can learn from more experienced keepers is appreciated

M

Maggie Cummings

@Maggie Cummings I'm so sorry about Bob. I've read so much about him - he was an incredible tortoise. May I ask, what changed your mind about the cause of death, from thinking it was the Vet to thinking it was diet related?

I just want to give our little guy the best conditions possible, so anything I can learn from more experienced keepers is appreciated

It was my sister (Yvonne) who finally told me. But also the Vet took off his whole plastron and thru it away!

M

Maggie Cummings

Go to the beginning of this thread, on the first page the experts have written out how you need to take care of small Sulcata. Those will give you much better advice than I can. Always continue to ask questions
In fact I'll bet you that Tom has already printed` out the links... for you...

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Go to the beginning of this thread, on the first page the experts have written out how you need to take care of small Sulcata. Those will give you much better advice than I can. Always continue to ask questions
In fact I'll bet you that Tom has already printed` out the links... for you...

He has indeed linked them to me. I'm mainly using this thread as a way to keep track of growth and conditions now!

As an update the actual owner of the Morla is back in the wind and incommunicado, so i'll be looking to re home him more seriously now.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
He has indeed linked them to me. I'm mainly using this thread as a way to keep track of growth and conditions now!

As an update the actual owner of the Morla is back in the wind and incommunicado, so i'll be looking to re home him more seriously now.

You're seem so perfect for Morla, it's a shame you aren't able to keep the tortoise yourself.

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I know! I would love to keep this little monster!

I'm already looking at building an enclosure on my back porch...it would be a disservice to Morla to keep them in the space I have available and my income is pretty low, so a house or apartment with a yard I can wreck is out of reach for me.

M

Maggie Cummings

Wow [emoji45]. Once again I'm so sorry you went through that

I appreciate that, thank you. We stayed cheek to cheek on the warm bathroom floor for hours. I felt his last breath on my cheek. It wasn't terrible it was horrible. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. I think if you want to ask about Bob send me a conversation here on the forum or I think if you want to know more about Bob email [email protected]. I don't want to put the whole forum on a downer. And most of the group went thru mourning with me. They're probably tired of him by now

M

Maggie Cummings

Do some research and find out whats oxilates or not. I thought I was giving him the best diet possible, when in reality I was killing him.
So NO oxilates.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Dandelions... OMG ... that is Daisy’s favorite... I’m going to cut back on them. Doesn’t calcium help balance the oxilates? Also, first time ever she started grazing on some grass growing in our rocks by the pool.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Dandelions... OMG ... that is Daisy’s favorite... I’m going to cut back on them. Doesn’t calcium help balance the oxilates? Also, first time ever she started grazing on some grass growing in our rocks by the pool.
Make sure they are actually dandelions. We have a lot of sow thistle growing in our yard, and Charlie loves them. They look like huge dandelions. From what I can tell, they aren't high in oxalates. At least, the tortoise table doesn't say so.

M

Maggie Cummings

Make sure they are actually dandelions. We have a lot of sow thistle growing in our yard, and Charlie loves them. They look like huge dandelions. From what I can tell, they aren't high in oxalates. At least, the tortoise table doesn't say so.

Too many dandelions are not good for them They are oxilates that make crystals that make stones. The stone in Bob's bladder was as big as a softball.
Kale and clover are the same. Do your research, I thought I was feeding the best diet possible, instead I was killing the person I loved the most. I'm not feeding any of my tortoises. I put them in a yard that has great grass and weeds. This winter they will be stuck with locally grown grass hay. If they're hungry, they'll eat whats available or starve

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
I just scored some Optunia cactus, and found out Morla love Bok Choy! Im working hay and grass into the diet, mainly by tossing his other food in a slurry of hydrated orchard grass.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
Too many dandelions are not good for them They are oxilates that make crystals that make stones. The stone in Bob's bladder was as big as a softball.
Kale and clover are the same. Do your research, I thought I was feeding the best diet possible, instead I was killing the person I loved the most. I'm not feeding any of my tortoises. I put them in a yard that has great grass and weeds. This winter they will be stuck with locally grown grass hay. If they're hungry, they'll eat whats available or starve

I can tell you are sad, grieving and devastated, I’m so sorry! Thank you for being so open and honest about your experience. We’ve only had Daisy for a few weeks and Are so in love with her and her funny personality. I’m reading all these forums and now have information overload!!! I had my perfect dog Charm that died after only 6 years, she was a mutt, part rat terrier, Chihuahua and no telling what else. We rescued her from freezing to death underneath a house, she was 5 oz and full of worms, but a saw the spark in her eyes. We took her to vet, got all her shots and spayed, then a couple months later she ate rat poison! Daughter asked what new treat we gave her and i said she didn’t get new treat. Found out it was one of those rat poison blocks she was chewing on. After a $400 vet bill and meds .. she made it only to get heart worms 2 years later!!!! While on heart worm prevention!!! She was an outside dog but pampered under Nice patio and didn’t really want to come in the house ( I’d rather be outside too )... went through treatment like a champ, all paid for because meds were documented and then she gets heart worms AGAIN... never misses dose of meds. At this point.. too bad if you prefer to be outside... you are now an inside dog so get over it!!!
Then she ends up dying after a surgery for intestinal blockage from a soup bone we gave her, the same SAFE bone that our own vet feeds her dogs!!! About $3k total on my Charm and we still lost her. The day we buried her, double rainbow [emoji173]️

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA

I’m going to compare pictures and see what I actually have. Going research @work lol ... and will post my findings!

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
IMG_2402.jpgIMG_2403.jpg
LOL... sensitive skin and straw = Baby Sulcata tracker [emoji23]... when she is bigger and outside full time I am so mounting a pro go on her! Neighbors put one one their cat! You think they are chilling and sleeping all day!!! Cat ran around neighborhood... 18 miles in 9 hours! It was so funny!