New Sulcata hatchling burrows all day and doesn’t eat much or bask

Garrett3697

Location (City and/or State)
Stayton,OR
Hello everyone! I just brought home my first Sulcata 4 days ago, he’s approximately 1 month old. He’s very active and eats but he stays burrowed for most of the day and avoids the basking spot for the most part and when I feed him I have to put him directly in front of the food to get him to eat and I feel like he still doesn’t eat very much. Is there anything I can do to get him to eat on his own, is there any reason as to why re stays burrowed for most of the day? Below I’ll provide his current setup.

.50g Rubbermaid tub
.Forest floor coco fiber
.Shallow water dish
.Hide on warm side and cool side
.Zoomed 100w Powersun about 12” over flat rocks for basking

I soak him for twice a day in warm water which I actually got him to poop for his first time this morning and his diet consists of collard greens, romaine, natural grass and hopefully mazuri which I’m working on getting him introduced to.
Basking spot stays about 100F steady
Cool side stays at 75F and ambient temp is about 85F and Humidity stays around 80 or slightly higher. The Sulcata doesn’t use his basking spot, he made a little burrow right on the side of his basking spot and stays there most of the day, although he’s still getting plenty of uvb and humidity it concerns me that he’s not out and about and eating on his own without being placed in front of his food. All he does is eat and go back to his burrow to sleep.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When a :tort: moves into a new territory (enclosure) they are unsure if there is another :tort: nearby who might already be in charge so your :tort: is laying low unil he is sure he is the only 1 around. When he is comfortable then he willbe more relaxed. It takes time, as long as he is eating you can relax.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think David is probably right, but I also notice that your temps are a little too cool. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 day or night. I didn't see any mention of night heat. They need to be kept warm at night. A CHE or RHP on a thermostat will work best for this.

Garrett3697

Stayton,OR
When a :tort: moves into a new territory (enclosure) they are unsure if there is another :tort: nearby who might already be in charge so your :tort: is laying low unil he is sure he is the only 1 around. When he is comfortable then he willbe more relaxed. It takes time, as long as he is eating you can relax.

Maybe I am being a little too paranoid since I’ve never raised a tortoise, I’ve just seen too many horror stories online about them. He has been a little more active as the days go by, so I’ll just give him space and try to let him adjust. Thanks for the info!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Maybe I am being a little too paranoid since I’ve never raised a tortoise, I’ve just seen too many horror stories online about them. He has been a little more active as the days go by, so I’ll just give him space and try to let him adjust. Thanks for the info!
If he is eating then just give him time & space. He will come around. Fix the temps like @Tom said.

Garrett3697

Stayton,OR
I think David is probably right, but I also notice that your temps are a little too cool. No part of the enclosure should drop below 80 day or night. I didn't see any mention of night heat. They need to be kept warm at night. A CHE or RHP on a thermostat will work best for this.

I forgot to mention that I do use a zoomed under tank heater at night on the warm side and it keeps the temp at 79.3 at night, as for the day time would a smaller under tank heater be appropriate for raising the cool side temp a bit? Since I’m using a power sun light the temps always stay the same and never change unless I lift the top off for feeding and soaking.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I forgot to mention that I do use a zoomed under tank heater at night on the warm side and it keeps the temp at 79.3 at night, as for the day time would a smaller under tank heater be appropriate for raising the cool side temp a bit? Since I’m using a power sun light the temps always stay the same and never change unless I lift the top off for feeding and soaking.
I would not use an undertank heating system of any kind on a tortoise enclosure. Its not safe. Burns and malfunctions are common. They whole enclosure needs to be 80 at night.

Garrett3697

Stayton,OR
All the temps have been corrected! Today I heard a strange grinding noise, and I look over into the enclosure to see my tort munching on his cuttlebone then right after he goes over to his food pile and starts putting it down like I’ve never seen! I was definitely getting worked up over absolutely nothing, I’m gonna keep on doing what I’ve been doing and give him space as he’s getting more comfortable with time. Again, thanks for help everyone!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
All the temps have been corrected! Today I heard a strange grinding noise, and I look over into the enclosure to see my tort munching on his cuttlebone then right after he goes over to his food pile and starts putting it down like I’ve never seen! I was definitely getting worked up over absolutely nothing, I’m gonna keep on doing what I’ve been doing and give him space as he’s getting more comfortable with time. Again, thanks for help everyone!
the warmer temps make a big difference

amazzen

Manchester,nj
DSC08094.JPG DSC08094.JPG DSC08095.JPG DSC08096.JPG DSC08097.JPG DSC08098.JPG DSC08099.JPG IMG_20180812_101433.jpg DSC08095.JPG DSC08096.JPG DSC08097.JPG DSC08098.JPG DSC08099.JPG IMG_20180812_101433.jpg This is the temporary home for Babe, my Sulcata tort. She was hatched towards the end of June. That's clean dirt and I'm growing her food in there. I sent for seeds. I've
added parsley seeds to the mix. The next set up will be the same, just larger. 40x20". The large torts are my sons.