New sulcata hatchlings

Marco1970

I would remove all the hay. It will mold.

Daisies are toxic.

It is normal to see reduced appetite in the first few days.

Hello,Tom!

Thank you very much for your responde!

I'll remove the hay in a little while. I do not remove it now because it has not yet dawned and I do not want to bother with the noise.

Fortunately I only gave them a daisy yesterday and it seems to have caused them no harm, but I will not give them any more of it.

I am more relieved to know that in the early days they have a reduced appetite.All of them feed on, although the more light one feeds on it more often.
I give them enough variety of food, but they prefer dandelion, hibiscus and turfgrass. I would like them to feed on more variety, but it is always preferable to not eating anything.
At first I gave them the whole plants, but now I cut them as small as possible, except for the hibiscus flowers.

Fortunately they are already feeding better and a little more active.

Thanks again, Tom!

My Best regards,

Marco

Marco1970

Hello again, Sabine!

Thank you very much for the link. Anyway, I will not give you more daisies for now because they have a lot to choose from.

I live quite close to a park with about 70 hectares and fortunately I have many plants and varied flowers that I can harvest.

I also got plenty of aloe vera and the fig cactus, but they have not even proved it yet.

I can also get a lot of clover, dandelion, thistles, grass flowers, hibiscus ... and daisies! There are a lot more plants and flowers, but as I'm afraid they are toxic, I have not given them any of that yet.

If I need to buy something, I have a hypermarket nearby, too, but I will avoid giving them grocery products while I can harvest wild plants.

See you soon.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco1970

I would change the substrate hay will just mold. You can keep some hay for digging but keep it dry and remove if you notice mold. As long as you find a way to seal their enclosure, keep heat and humidity in, and let them settle in they'll be great. Cypress or orchard bark, spahgnum or similar mosses are great for humidity, and keeping a shallow easy to access water bowl under their heat source helps a ton.

Hello,Danielle!

Thank you very much for your message!

I will remove the hay soon and replace it with universal substrate and coconut fiber.

I'm using park sand in the bottom layer, soil in the middle and hay the surface, but I'll start using another substrate .The humidity levels are too low and there is always the possibility of mold starting to appear on the hay.

Unfortunately I can not close the enclosure for now because it gets too hot, but I'll have to find a way today, if possible.

I have spahgnum moss and coconut fiber that I will use, besides the soil.

They have a shallow bowl with clean water all the time too.I'll do as you indicated and I'll start putting it under the basking spot.

Thanks again, Danielle.

My Best regards,

Marco

Marco1970

Good morning Sabine, Tom and Danielle.

I hope everyone is well.

I would like to inform you that I have already changed the substrate, removing all hay and sand. also put the lid on the enclosure.I put only soil mixed with a little coconut fiber.I also put the lid on the enclosure,to keep the humidity.

While cleaning the enclosure, I placed them in a basin of warm water, which made them poop and moisturized.

Their behavior has changed a bit, they feed themselves a little more,even ate some cuttlefish bone and they walk back and forth with their eyes open, instead of spending most of their time sleeping.

Maybe they can all survive.

I want to thank you very much for all the help you have given me and that you continue to give and I hope that we will continue in contact.

A good Sunday for everyone.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco1970

Sorry ! I`ve got something confused. I thought these plants are called daisies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellis_perennis
Sorry, that was my fault.

Hello,Sabine!

Do not worry.There are a multitude of plant species and it is very easy to get confused.
To be honest, I do not even know what species the daisy was that my tortoises ate the other day.
I know Bellis perennis, but I have not seen one in a long time.
I have violets and begonias, they say they are safe plants,I offered my tortoises and they did not even touch it.
I also have orange hibiscus but my torts prefer the pink variety.Tomorrow I'll see if I can find some more plants to bring home, possibly pansy and others that I can get.
I bought many seeds from different plants, including grass and dandelion, but I have not even planted them yet.

See you soon.

Kind regards,

Marco

Bee62

Location (City and/or State)
Germany
Good morning Sabine, Tom and Danielle.

I hope everyone is well.

I would like to inform you that I have already changed the substrate, removing all hay and sand. also put the lid on the enclosure.I put only soil mixed with a little coconut fiber.I also put the lid on the enclosure,to keep the humidity.

While cleaning the enclosure, I placed them in a basin of warm water, which made them poop and moisturized.

Their behavior has changed a bit, they feed themselves a little more,even ate some cuttlefish bone and they walk back and forth with their eyes open, instead of spending most of their time sleeping.

Maybe they can all survive.

I want to thank you very much for all the help you have given me and that you continue to give and I hope that we will continue in contact.

A good Sunday for everyone.

Kind regards,

Marco

Hello Marco,

short answer: You do all things right for your little torts, so they all should and will survive ! I am sure.
Do you have space in your house for your big wooden bookcase ? Keep your little tortoises indoor as long as they are small and you will throw away your television.....:eek: :D It is anyway the best solution to keep little sullies indoor for the first year or longer when they have a large enclosure.;)

Staying in contact ? I really hope so ! It is your "task" to keep us updatet. I am curious how your little ones develop and I think more people are curious too.

I wish you a happy sunday too and I am looking forward for your next posts.:)

with kind regards
Sabine

Last edited:

Marco1970

Hello Marco,

short answer: You do all things right for your little torts, so they all should and will survive ! I am sure.
Do you have space in your house for your big wooden bookcase ? Keep your little tortoises indoor as long as they are small and you will throw away your television.....:eek: :D It is anyway the best solution to keep little sullies indoor for the first year or longer when they have a large enclosure.;)

Staying in contact ? I really hope so ! It is your "task" to keep us updatet. I am curious how your little ones develop and I think more people are curious too.

with kind regards
Sabine

Hi,Sabine!

Thank you very much for your encouragement.

I was doing everything wrong with the tortoises and without your help, the most probable was that they died.

I have faith that at least two will survive, in relation to the smaller I am not very sure, although she has moved a little more and tried to feed.
It is the one that still spends more time sleeping under the basking spot, but it may also survive, I do not know ...

I have room for my wooden bookcase, but it's not so big:confused:, it measures around 120X80 cms.

I have plans to keep them in the house as long as possible, after that, in a few years, I think, they will be in my covered yard, with a warm space to take refuge, of course.

Do not worry that I will always keep in touch, not only because you helped me and you continue to help me, but also because of your kindness and because it is my "duty" to report the development of my torts:).

I also wish you a very happy Sunday, Sabine.I'll keep posting, of course.

Kind regards,

Marco

Hello Marco,

with kind regards
Sabine

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Bee62

Germany
Hi,Sabine!

Thank you very much for your encouragement.

I was doing everything wrong with the tortoises and without your help, the most probable was that they died.

I have faith that at least two will survive, in relation to the smaller I am not very sure, although she has moved a little more and tried to feed.
It is the one that still spends more time sleeping under the basking spot, but it may also survive, I do not know ...

I have room for my wooden bookcase, but it's not so big:confused:, it measures around 120X80 cms.

I have plans to keep them in the house as long as possible, after that, in a few years, I think, they will be in my covered yard, with a warm space to take refuge, of course.

Do not worry that I will always keep in touch, not only because you helped me and you continue to help me, but also because of your kindness and because it is my "duty" to report the development of my torts:).

I also wish you a very happy Sunday, Sabine.I'll keep posting, of course.

Kind regards,

Marco

Hi Marco,

when I hasn`t helped you with your tortoises, another user here had done it. :oops:
We are all a big tort family on TFO....
But thank you for praise for being kind. That`s what I am ( mostly ).:rolleyes:

120 x 80 cm is not much for three sully babies. I gave my little ones :tort: 200 cm x 80 cm and I wish it would be more but I have no more space in my living room( or I have to throw away my living room cabinet )
When you got more space make the enclosure bigger. Wood is a wonderful thing to work with :
Only some boards, some screws and a srewdriver and ....
Come on .... make the bookcase bigger. Your torts will love you !

The little tort that isn`t moving: Does she has bubbles on her nose or does she makes some noise when she is breathing ?
When you soak your torts add baby carrot food to the water. It is possible that they will get some vitamins trough the skin or when they drink. To hydrate the torts well and keep them warm may save their lifes.

kind regards
Sabine

Marco1970

Hi Marco,

when I hasn`t helped you with your tortoises, another user here had done it. :oops:
We are all a big tort family on TFO....
But thank you for praise for being kind. That`s what I am ( mostly ).:rolleyes:

120 x 80 cm is not much for three sully babies. I gave my little ones :tort: 200 cm x 80 cm and I wish it would be more but I have no more space in my living room( or I have to throw away my living room cabinet )
When you got more space make the enclosure bigger. Wood is a wonderful thing to work with :
Only some boards, some screws and a srewdriver and ....
Come on .... make the bookcase bigger. Your torts will love you !

The little tort that isn`t moving: Does she has bubbles on her nose or does she makes some noise when she is breathing ?
When you soak your torts add baby carrot food to the water. It is possible that they will get some vitamins trough the skin or when they drink. To hydrate the torts well and keep them warm may save their lifes.

kind regards
Sabine

Hi Sabine!

It is true that other users have helped me and I am very grateful for them, (without their help, maybe my tortoises were already quite sick or dead),But you were the first to respond to my call, and it is with you that I keep in touch more often.
You are always very kind!:)
Since I have not even started working on the enclosure, I'll see if i increases it to 150X80.Unfortunately I do not think I can increase it more than that because of our common problem, the lack of space:confused:.When they are bigger and more resilient, they will go to my little yard, it is protected from rain, although there is always some humidity. I will also have to put thermal plates on the floor, but I will not have problems because I live quite near a Leroy Merlin store;) .
As for the smaller tortoise, it also moves and open her eyes, but less than the others and also feeds less.I have checked carefully and fortunately and she does not have bubbles in the nose and does not have difficulty breathing.
I do not have baby food at home, but I can buy it. I have two bottles of Nutrobal Calcium Balancer & Multivitamins and I also have a package of HabiStat Medivet Reptile Vitamins & Supplements.I already soak them yesterday, but today I might do it again to put the vitamins or carrot baby food in the water.
For the rest, they are now always warm and with high humidity levels.

Thank you very much and have a great start to the week,Sabine.

Kind regards,

Marco

Bee62

Germany
Hi Marco,

150 x 80 sounds good ( for the enclosure of your torts ).
What are termal plates ? Kind of electric heat pads ? The warmth for tortoises should always come from above ( with heat lamps or a CHE ). When you build them a heated wooden box where they can crawl in when it`s cold outside they have a place to stay warm.

With the purchase of your torts you have one more thing to do every day: To soak them. :D
It is necessary every day because they are so young and they need it. Plan on soaking the torts into your dayly routine as combing your hair or brushing your teeth....;):)

Have a great start to the week too.

Kind regards

Sabine

Marco1970

Hi Marco,

150 x 80 sounds good ( for the enclosure of your torts ).
What are termal plates ? Kind of electric heat pads ? The warmth for tortoises should always come from above ( with heat lamps or a CHE ). When you build them a heated wooden box where they can crawl in when it`s cold outside they have a place to stay warm.

With the purchase of your torts you have one more thing to do every day: To soak them. :D
It is necessary every day because they are so young and they need it. Plan on soaking the torts into your dayly routine as combing your hair or brushing your teeth....;):)

Have a great start to the week too.

Kind regards

Sabine

Hello Sabine.
How are you?
Well, I hope.

I have even more space available for them,it is 500X150 (a bit wider in some parts), but I will have to make a lot of changes, especially in relation to the insulation.I measured my covered yard today and I think it will serve for them to live comfortably in that space for a few years, after that I will see (if necessary I will be able to find more space).
I was thinking of buying a small greenhouse (it's a bit small, measures 300X50X40) to put in my covered backyard, but I still do not know if it will be a good idea.Most likely I'll put heat insulation boards on the floor and build the wooden house in one of the corners so that they can get into that warm environment when it's too cold.
I was thinking of using heating cables on the sides and a heat lamp on top, plus a uvb lamp for the days when they can not get some sun.The sun's rays penetrate in this yard, but only during the afternoon.

Thank you very much for the tip, Sabine. They like to stay for about 10 or 15 minutes in tepid shallow water because they take a drink and still make their poop.I put them in the bowl today with a teaspoon of dissolved multivitamins in the water.
Leaving them in the water does not bother me at all, it only helps me because that way I can clean their enclosure more easily.

By the way, with each passing day they get more animated, including the smaller one, who was weaker.I think it's a matter of only a month so that they are free from danger.

Thank you so much for always being so kind to me, Sabine!

I also wish you a great start to the week and a good night.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco1970

Hello, I hope everyone is well.

I send these photos to show more in detail my sulcata tortoises hatchlings and their temporary enclosure.
As they are still very small, they will spend their first winter in this space. It may seem small, but in it I can regulate humidity and temperature.
Because it is a temporary enclosure, I am still wearing a shoebox as an interior shelter and the lamps do not allow me to close the enclosure completely, but soon
i will fix it.
As for the rest, I always give them fresh water every day, besides food, of course.They also always have available cuttlefish bone and give them vitamins once a week.
Every morning I put them in warm water to moisturize them too.As for the substrate, I'm just using universal substrate mixed with a little coconut fiber.They are responding quite well to this mix.
I have tried to offer them different types of food but they only accept the vegetation that I gather in a nearby park, such as dandelion, hibiscus flowers, grass, clovers, other wild plants whose name I do not know and recently they started to eat a little vine leaves.
As they grow, I will offer them another type of food. Fortunately, where I live I do not have much trouble in getting them different plants.
For now I think it is everything. I apologize for the quality of the photos. Later on I will send others of better quality.
Greetings to all.

Marco00000MY SULCATAS.jpg 00000MY SULCATAS.jpg

Attachments

• 0000MYSULCATA.JPG
    0000MYSULCATA.JPG
    871.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0000MYSULCATA1.JPG
    0000MYSULCATA1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 0000MYSULCATA2.JPG
    0000MYSULCATA2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • 0000MYSULCATASENCLOSURE.jpg
    0000MYSULCATASENCLOSURE.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • 0000MYSULCATASENCLOSURE1.JPG
    0000MYSULCATASENCLOSURE1.JPG
    978.8 KB · Views: 7

Bee62

Germany
Hi Marco,

the plastik box you are using is way too small for three growing sulcata babies.
A shoebox is not a good hide. It can burn ( heat lamp ) and it will mold ( moisture ).
As you wrote you have problems cover it, so warmth and humidity are both getting away.
Why do you buy animals and then have no idea what they need to live happy and healthy ?
Do you want to spend a whole winter long in a room that is 2 x 2 m with 3 other roommates ?
What is with your bookcase ? It`ll make a good tortoise enclosure with a few changes you have to make.

That is a good enclosure ( closed chamber, terrarium ) to keep sulcata tortoise babies. It is mine.

DSCN0011.JPG DSCN0021.JPG

DSCN0011.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN0058.JPG
    DSCN0058.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 9

Marco1970

Hi Sabine.

You're quite right, the conditions I'm giving to my tortoises are far from ideal, but as I said, it's temporary.
In fact, I had no idea that an enclosure like yours was the most appropriate for tortoises because I have read so much about it, most advise the use of open terrariums, others advise the use of plastic tanks ... it is confusing, Especially for those who do not yet have experience, like me.
I will see if this week I change the shoebox, I also think is a hideous choice as hide, but I have looked for hides in wood or plastic and I have not found any suitable. The possible wood hides that I have found are either too large or too small and the Plastic ones are transparent.
I have not paid much attention to humidity and temperature because we are still in the summer and also spray the enclosure with water every day but this problem will soon be solved as well.
The problem with the bookcase is that it is still a bookcase, stored in a corner of the house. It will have to lie at length because it is too narrow in width and because of that, I will not be able to put two glass doors, as in your enclosure.This week, without fail, I will begin to take care of some of the necessary changes.
By the way, your enclosure is excellent, not only at the level of functionality but also at the aesthetic level.

Kind Regards,

Marco

Bee62

Germany
Hi Sabine.

You're quite right, the conditions I'm giving to my tortoises are far from ideal, but as I said, it's temporary.
In fact, I had no idea that an enclosure like yours was the most appropriate for tortoises because I have read so much about it, most advise the use of open terrariums, others advise the use of plastic tanks ... it is confusing, Especially for those who do not yet have experience, like me.
I will see if this week I change the shoebox, I also think is a hideous choice as hide, but I have looked for hides in wood or plastic and I have not found any suitable. The possible wood hides that I have found are either too large or too small and the Plastic ones are transparent.
I have not paid much attention to humidity and temperature because we are still in the summer and also spray the enclosure with water every day but this problem will soon be solved as well.
The problem with the bookcase is that it is still a bookcase, stored in a corner of the house. It will have to lie at length because it is too narrow in width and because of that, I will not be able to put two glass doors, as in your enclosure.This week, without fail, I will begin to take care of some of the necessary changes.
By the way, your enclosure is excellent, not only at the level of functionality but also at the aesthetic level.

Kind Regards,

Marco

Hi Marco,

you always write that you want to change things for your tortoises later.
If you deal with the life and the welfare of animals there should be no "later", only now and yet.
It is exhausting for me to give advice when they are not taken ....
If you pay no attention on temps and humidity on what else do you pay attention ?
If you don`t want to use your bookcase, use some boards and screws ... Cover it with acrylic glass.
Closes enclosures ( wood, glass or plastik ) are better than open ones.

......... and so on. I`ve already wrote this more then one time.

Thank you for the praise of the enclosure of my torts. I always try to build them a little "natural habitat" as far as that is possible.
That`s my "guilty" for keeping them in capture.

kind regards
Sabine

Marco1970

Hi,Sabine.

Forgive me for having been "disappeared", but I was a little busy these last days and also only wanted to re-enter this forum only when I had already changed the tortoises to a more acceptable enclosure.

I ended up buying a plastic tank, it's very sturdy and in many ways it's better than one in wood.It measures 1.15x65, not too big, but at least they are already more comfortable and I can better control the levels of humidity and temperature.

They responded quite well to this change in habitat, no longer try to escape, hide and sleep in places they find the most appropriate, are more active and feed well.As you can see, I got rid of the card shoebox and put two ceramic pots as a hiding place. I set some lawns in one of the corners, but the grass might not survive.
Soon I will put a plant also, possibly a cactus, of a species without thorns, of course.

I think that during the next year this enclosure will suffice for them. After that, I will be able to give them a much larger space to live.
If you think I'm still making some mistakes, I'll be grateful if you can give me some more advice.

Have a great day and I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Marco

Marco1970

Hello again, Sabine.

I forgot to upload the photo of the new enclosure.

I know I'll still have to make some improvements, but at least the tortoises are no longer in such tight space.

I hope you approve.o_O;)

See you soon.

Kind regards,

Marco

Attachments

• 00000PIC.jpg
    00000PIC.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 11