New Sulcata Help - He won’t come out

How long did it take for you Sulcata to adjust to his new home?

• 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 months

• Still waiting for him/her to open up.

• Total voters

RachelT

Location (City and/or State)
Petaluma, Ca
ECC97762-F563-484B-9ABD-78226EC326C3.jpeg I was just given a medium sized male Sulcata Tortoise. He’s been through quite a stressful week. He was found on a local hiking trail, likely dumped, and then brought to me. We’ve had him 3 days and for the most part he has been hiding in his heated dog igloo. It’s been a full 24 hours since he’s come out to eat, walk around or do anything but stare out of house. He looks to be in good health, no signs of URI or anything else visible. His igloo stays around 80-85, but he seems to have no interest (yet) in basking in the sunlight or checking out his new digs,
For other who have had reclusive Sulcata’s how long did it take to them to become more comfortable and cruise around.
Thoughts? Advise?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Might take a few days to a few weeks in some cases. Every tort is different. Tortoises do not do will initially to changes in their environment. Be patient and it'll come around.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size is he?

Dogloo type shelters don't work. The door is too big and tall and it lets all the heat out. He might be getting too cold at night, in addition to be stressed out by the move. Here is an example of something that works much better: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

I couldn't answer your poll question because there wasn't a box to click for a day or two.

Here is what to feed them:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
View attachment 279042 I was just given a medium sized male Sulcata Tortoise. He’s been through quite a stressful week. He was found on a local hiking trail, likely dumped, and then brought to me. We’ve had him 3 days and for the most part he has been hiding in his heated dog igloo. It’s been a full 24 hours since he’s come out to eat, walk around or do anything but stare out of house. He looks to be in good health, no signs of URI or anything else visible. His igloo stays around 80-85, but he seems to have no interest (yet) in basking in the sunlight or checking out his new digs,
For other who have had reclusive Sulcata’s how long did it take to them to become more comfortable and cruise around.
Thoughts? Advise?

You can improve the heat retention of the dogloo by adding a "door" made from car-floor mats with slits in them vertically.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNDBJVK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Jamie