new sulcata in san diego

babytortie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
Hi all - Just got our first tortoise yesterday. I've been reading through the older forum posts trying to learn as much as I can about how to care for our lil' Sulcata. Currently we've set him (or her) up in a plastic sweater box with half timothy hay and the other side with moistened eco earth coconut fiber substrate. I'm hoping this is ok to start with. Didn't realize we needed to have a very humid environment so we're working on getting that set up. We fed him a few dandelions from our yard and he ate quite a bit, which makes me think we're off to a good start so far! I'm glad to have found this forum so we can learn more about our lil' tortie and how to properly care for it. I'm not quite sure how old it is...I'm assuming 1-2 months as it still fits in the palm of our hands?? Is there an approximate shell length or size to determine approximate age?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Post a pic and members can take a good guess on age, but there really is no way of knowing for sure. Please read Toms threads below in my post for making the proper enclosure to raise you little one healthy and smooth.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

There are some good articles at the top of the Sulcata section that tell you how to care for your new sulcata baby, and the next thread after the "General Tortoise discussion" thread is "Turtle and Tortoise Articles." There are some good articles in there for you to read too

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ. And you have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Good to have you here.

samsmom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
CedarCreekLake, Texas
hello from Texas and welcome, you've come to the right place to learn all about tortoises... i noticed you said you just got your first tort, does that mean there will be more?

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the welcome! I will definitely continue to read all the very useful information. Glad to have found this forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. Hay by itself is much too dry. Hay mixed with damp soil will mold and can be a serious problem. Low sided sweater boxes are about worse case scenario for housing a baby sulcata unless the whole room is always warm and humid.

There is no way to tell the age by the size.

Please read these:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Thank you, Tom! I will need to re-figure a better enclosure rather than the shallow sweater box based on your tips. Do you think a deeper Rubbermaid bin would be ok with just the damp coco fiber and no hay? I find him burrowed a bit under the hay when he sleeps rather than on the coco side.

I have so much to learn!

babytortie

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
Here is what I use:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

Anything with an open top is going to let all your heat and humidity out into the room.
wow that's impressive! I do keep the lid covering a majority of the top to try and retain the humidity & warmth, but after reading the care tips I realize I'm not anywhere near having an ideal set-up. I'm going to work on it right away!

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
welcome, have a great stay :) please post pics soon!