New Sulcata Momma

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Hello! I am very new to 'forums'. I am from Nebraska. I have always loved reptiles, had several over the years and now I have 2 Russian Tortoises (female Lilo, male Stitch) and today my new baby Sulcata arrived! I am head over heels in love with my torts!!!! I need a name for my new baby ;)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

(Jumba Jukiba)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello there, Katsy, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you, Lilo, Stitch and Adam.
Adam is a great name.;)
Pretty little tortoise, too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know and I cant wait!! As soon as he is big enough, he will have free range of the house (the safe areas) and im prepared for him to knock everything over lol

Loose othe floor is a recipe for disaster. I highly recommend against this.

Also, your tortoise has been housed too dry and has begun the first step toward pyramiding. Its still early enough to halt the pyramiding, but it will require some effort. Please take a few minutes to read those threads I linked. This is all explained in there.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Loose othe floor is a recipe for disaster. I highly recommend against this.

Also, your tortoise has been housed too dry and has begun the first step toward pyramiding. Its still early enough to halt the pyramiding, but it will require some effort. Please take a few minutes to read those threads I linked. This is all explained in there.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
according to the seller, he was just hatched, so I don't understand how he can pyramid in a matter of a few days? I did read the links and I am redoing his enclosure so better suit his age and needs. I will post a pic as soon as it is completed and get opinions and advice :) thank you for keeping an eye out for the little guy. He is just so cute!!!

I mean no offense, its just that time is of the essence here. I've hatched several hundred sulcatas and more every year.

That little guy is more than a few days old. Show me a clear pic of the snout and egg tooth and I can give you a closer estimate. They usually lose the egg tooth by about six weeks. I can't tell if your guy still has one or not from your pic.

I mention the pyramiding because most breeders start them too dry, and your little guy is showing a sunken notch where the new growth should be coming in. Pyramiding in progress is much harder to stop than it is to prevent it in the first place. This is why the sense of urgency. Just wanted to get you thinking about it ASAP.

Okay, enough serious talk. Resume your enthusiasm for Rocksteady! :)