New Sulcata Momma

Location (City and/or State)
Lincoln, Nebraska
I mean no offense, its just that time is of the essence here. I've hatched several hundred sulcatas and more every year.

That little guy is more than a few days old. Show me a clear pic of the snout and egg tooth and I can give you a closer estimate. They usually lose the egg tooth by about six weeks. I can't tell if your guy still has one or not from your pic.

I mention the pyramiding because most breeders start them too dry, and your little guy is showing a sunken notch where the new growth should be coming in. Pyramiding in progress is much harder to stop than it is to prevent it in the first place. This is why the sense of urgency. Just wanted to get you thinking about it ASAP.

Okay, enough serious talk. Resume your enthusiasm for Rocksteady! :)
I trust your judgement so I am emailing the seller again to make sure I have correct info. He had my order # wrong so maybe that is why. I will let you know! I would post tons of pics but this forum isnt working on my phone for some reason.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I usually use a laptop or iPad for the forum, but I've heard people have phone problems with pics before.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome, he is lovely!
As you already keep torts I assume you know that species shouldn't be mixed so apologies if preaching to the converted and also keep an eye on the other two for signs of bullying from the more dominant tort. There's lots of info about both topics if you use the search facility.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Hi and welcome, he is lovely!
As you already keep torts I assume you know that species shouldn't be mixed so apologies if preaching to the converted and also keep an eye on the other two for signs of bullying from the more dominant tort. There's lots of info about both topics if you use the search facility.
Yes yes. I have them separate!!!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Welcome to the land of tortoise enthusiasts. :)
Nebraska will be a bit of a challenge for a Sulcata but we have many members raising them in places with cold winters.

I find the sulcatas to have great outgoing personalities - maybe because they get large and not much will mess with them :).

It has been emphasized here already how important the care in the first few years of life are to overall health and development. That's why the suggestions to thoroughly read the care sheets and stickys at the top of the Sulcata section. Many of us here have made mistakes early on in our raising of babies and have since learned better. And the numbers of sulcatas that have need of rescue from poor care is large. We want you to have the greatest success right from the git-go!

Cute baby & cute name !

Lincoln, Nebraska
After I get the correct set up and recommending requirements for raising sulcatas, I would love to foster or adopt them. I will keep working toward bettering my turtle enclosure. :)