New Sulcata Momma!!!!

KellieMichelle

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Greetings from Tennessee! We recently adopted a BEAUTIFUL 5 year old Sulcata and named him "Sully". We've had him for about 2 weeks and I am having trouble getting him comfortable with me. Every time I approach him, he "hisses" and turns away. I really want to bond with him...I just think he doesn't like me. Any advice?

IMG_1204.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Kellie-Michele, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and Sully. :)
Have a look at http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
and http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
And to answer your question, he is just being territorial, quite natural.
I would try to hand feed him tasty titbits and treats until he comes to think of you as the food god and starts to get excited by your visits.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Weclome, Kellie!

It's not that your tortoise doesn't like you. He is simply a bit afraid right now and feels threatened when you approach. The hissing is just him releasing extra air in his lungs to make room so he can retreat into his shell for protection. The hissing is no a sound of anger at all. Just releasing air for and "emergency" retreat into the shell!

Sulcatas also have a reflex movement when threatened to either slide back into their burrow quickly, or if not by a burrow, they will turn away from the threat. Although their front legs looks well protected with those big scales, their front side is still the most vulnerable side, so they turn that away from a perceived threat.

Very quickly Sully will be come accustomed to you and see you as the food god, not a threat. That release of air and turning will soon turn into rushing towards you looking for treats.

Sully is a very nice looking sulcata!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Note the distance at which the tortoise hisses and turns away. On your next approach, come in slowly and calmly, and stop about 3 feet further away than where the hiss happened. Crouch down slowly and hold out a tasty treat that is red or yellow in color. Hibiscus flowers are ideal for this, but you can also use some slices of red or yellow bell pepper. Sit there for a few minutes and give the tortoise time to take it all in and notice the color in your hand. Remain motionless. All the better if you are upwind and the tortoise can smell the good stuff. If the tortoise doesn't go for it, leave it where it sits and back away slowly. Try this a few times, and your tortoise will come around. A little hunger will help with this too.

If you do nothing at all, the tortoise will still come around and get used to you and the routine.

KellieMichelle

Tennessee
THANK YOU everyone!!! I already feel like I'm part of the family. Sully is simply magnificent! I just want to do the very best for him. I know that I will learn so much from this site and from all of you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
THANK YOU everyone!!! I already feel like I'm part of the family. Sully is simply magnificent! I just want to do the very best for him. I know that I will learn so much from this site and from all of you.
A word of advice.
Looking at your avatar photo I would suggest that Sully has been eating too much beetroot. ;)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Everything that Tom and others have said. Many of us have raised our Sullys from hatchlings....some later....some from rescues. Move slowly, very slowly...and like Tom said offer hibiscus, lettuce, kale. Etc. Once your sully recognizes you as a food "friend" he will soften up.

Our "Sully" says welcome to the forum. Here he is enjoying the bounties of Summer thunderstorms in MD.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

KellieMichelle

Tennessee
Everything that Tom and others have said. Many of us have raised our Sullys from hatchlings....some later....some from rescues. Move slowly, very slowly...and like Tom said offer hibiscus, lettuce, kale. Etc. Once your sully recognizes you as a food "friend" he will soften up.

Our "Sully" says welcome to the forum. Here he is enjoying the bounties of Summer thunderstorms in MD.

View attachment 215157 View attachment 215157
That is awesome!!!

Maitaimommy

I know what you mean:)
I love my russian. He's so easy and fun! He also travels well!

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hello and welcome! Congratulations on your new family member!