new Sulcata owner: advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurosawa

5 Year Member
Hello to all, I'm new to the tortoise keeping bit, as such, i am in need of a bit of advice. I got my sulcata from a friend and took him to a pet store where they sell them as well. They sold me a to gallon tank, a water dish, and woodchips as well as heating lamp (the ones with the red bulbs), as well as a log half thats been hollowed out for him to crawl under. I keep the tank in doors as its pretty cold right now here on Southern California (and a bit rainy). Am I in need of anything else? I know i need a full spectrum bulb, any cone reccomend a brand? how close should i keep it to the tank. I was also planning to buy a large plastic tub, and fill the bottom with dirt and plants and leave that on the balcony so I as i can keep my sulcata in that during the day time, then bring him into the tank i keep indoors at night. Its been suggested that I feed it rabbit grass along with a vitamin supplement: appetite plus. Is this recommendation correct? any and all help is greatly appreciated.

PS, Reeses is about 3 inches long and according to my friend a few months old.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Temple City, Ca
Welcome again. My recommendation is read the old threads under 'Sulcata Central' and 'Enclosures' from sulcata owners. Good info has been previously posted. Also if you are going to have him/her on the balcony during the day make sure there is shade as well as something to protect him/her from birds and other predators. What part of so. cal? I am in Temple City.

Dawna

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kurosawa, Hi I would take the two Gallon tank back you really don't need it. The plastic under bed tub should be just fine for Reeses inside and out as long as you have him secure so that preditors can not get to him when outside. A young hatchling will normally not start eating grass right away. they tend to eat things like spring mix and eat grass when they get older or if it is grownd up and sprinkled over their greens. The live grass you buy at the petstores is usually wheat grass and is fine for Reeses to eat just snip it off small and sprinkle it over his spring mix.
If you have a costco card they sell a large container of spring mix pretty inexpensive compaired to other stores and it is organic. I also live in So. Cal Inland Empire area.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
San Diego CA
What kind of "woodchips" do you have? Some are toxic.

No glass tanks. They don't feel secure in them. Plus he will outgrow it very shortly.

Start with the spring mix chopped up along with fresh grasses (make sure there isn't any pesticides). Don't forget your calcium supplements. No fruits.

Make sure if he is outside that his enclosure is predator free. He needs to have sun and shade. Also make sure his temp outside stays warm enough and with enough humidity.

I'm in San Diego, what part of CA are you in?

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I bought a "Black wire storage" its basically wired metal casing you can put together yourself, I just built a small cage for when I take my tortoises outside and they get plenty of sunlight through that and the birds or dogs haven't around my neighborhood have not tried to get to them lol. You can put a peice of cardboard on one of the sides to give him shade. Here's a link to help you figure out what I'm talking about lol.
http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-S...-browse=1038576&rh=k:storage,n:3665671&page=4

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
dcoolguy68 said:
I bought a "Black wire storage" its basically wired metal casing you can put together yourself, I just built a small cage for when I take my tortoises outside and they get plenty of sunlight through that and the birds or dogs haven't around my neighborhood have not tried to get to them lol. You can put a peice of cardboard on one of the sides to give him shade. Here's a link to help you figure out what I'm talking about lol.
http://www.target.com/Whitmor-Set-S...-browse=1038576&rh=k:storage,n:3665671&page=4

That's much cheaper that the wooden tort box I saw on petsmart.com
good idea!!!

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I use that for when they're outside, idk the size of your tort so if he/she fits through the cubes you might want to buy some wire mesh from like home depot or lowes(its pretty cheap stuff) and wrap it around the squares. Just make sure that the fence is on the inside cause its hard to cut the wire mesh perfectly, use zip ties to tie it down also so that they can't move it.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Also make sure to use PVC coated wire mesh or you are going to end up with a tortoise with raw sores. You may need to use a sight barrier to keep them from stressing against the wire.

Kristina

Status
Not open for further replies.