New Sulcata Owner - Diet Concerns

Cyynntthhiia

Location (City and/or State)
Burbank, CA
Hi everyone.

I'm now an owner of 3 weeks old sulcatas and I'm concern on their diet.

I got these tortoises from a breeder - she was giving them only vegetables with smashed up maruzi pellets sprinkled on their food. Now theyre with me and it doesn't seem like their eating as much. I've had them now for 4 days.

It seems like the more research I do, the more I confuse myself ....
- their diet should be mostly fruits/veges while others say that should a treat AND what types of fruits & veges should be given more than others
- feed them mostly grass hay while others say not too because they're still young

I really love these little guys and I want the best for them, how and when should I be feeding them?

SIDE QUESTION: I have found 1 of them on his back a couple of times and I turn him over as soon as I do. But is this something I should be concerned about that? I'm more worried about him being on his back for a long time.

**Special notes**
I live in Southern Cali, one of them still has his baby teeth, I feed them organic greens, & I plan on keeping them inside until they mature more.

Any tips would help. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :). This forum will have the correct info. The fruits really should not be fed, they don't need it. Stick to grass, hay, weeds, flowers, etc.
Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper care. The two will most likely need to be seperated. Tortoises don't need or want a friend and bully and fight, so watch for it.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Hi everyone.

I'm now an owner of 3 weeks old sulcatas and I'm concern on their diet.

I got these tortoises from a breeder - she was giving them only vegetables with smashed up maruzi pellets sprinkled on their food. Now theyre with me and it doesn't seem like their eating as much. I've had them now for 4 days.

It seems like the more research I do, the more I confuse myself ....
- their diet should be mostly fruits/veges while others say that should a treat AND what types of fruits & veges should be given more than others
- feed them mostly grass hay while others say not too because they're still young

I really love these little guys and I want the best for them, how and when should I be feeding them?

SIDE QUESTION: I have found 1 of them on his back a couple of times and I turn him over as soon as I do. But is this something I should be concerned about that? I'm more worried about him being on his back for a long time.

**Special notes**
I live in Southern Cali, one of them still has his baby teeth, I feed them organic greens, & I plan on keeping them inside until they mature more.

Any tips would help. Thank you!
There is competition between the two...undoubtedly! You need to separate them immediately! That, or add a third. Read the following link on the basics of keeping a sulcata...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

then, read the following for more in depth care...

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

90% of their diet should be grass and weeds...and as babies they need to be started on this regimen! You can offer the Mazuri pellets every couple days or so! Keep store bought greens to a minimum...but, if you must, then your best choices are endive, escarole and radicchio, as well as collard greens, mustard greens and kale! A lot of people here use Spring Mix...I don't recommend it simply for the amount of Romaine! Romaine isn't terrible...but should ONLY be offered in moderation.

If you're going to keep them inside, it's imperative that you keep them hot and humid...literally, no cooler than 80ºF and as close to 100% humidity as you can get.

You can fill in the blanks reading the two furnished links!

Good luck!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Fruits and veggies are not good for them. Grass hay is great as part of the diet for older more mature sulcatas. Here is what to feed babies:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Here is how to raise them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

If they are not eating well after four days, you have a problem. The most likely culprits are temps that are too cool, improper lighting, lack of night heat and dehydration related issues from breeders who start them all wrong. Reading the above threads should help you figure it out, but come back with lots of questions.

Remember that for decades the care info on this species has been based on incorrect assumptions about their lives in the wild. These are not desert animals and in fact babies hatch at the start of the hot wet monsoon season.