New Sulcata owner...Hi!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
:)Hello From Columbus Ohio! We got our hatchling Sulcata on Friday so we are nervous tortie parents and want to learn everything we can to make sure the baby thrives in Columbus Ohio!!!! Any and all info and advice is welcome!!!!!

Teri

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Read Toms threads below for raising a healthy, smooth sulcata. Also, be prepared to build a winter heated house for him/her to live outside 24/7 when he is older.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Teri, and welcome to the Forum!

Be sure to read the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

First thing to learn if you haven't yet, is they are NOT desert animals. They need warmth, humidity, hydration, and a damp substrate. They hatch into the african rainy season where its hot humid and swampy. Desert conditions are not good for them.

Next thing is diet. Too many people want to feed them fruits and grocery store foods. Here is a thread I did on feeding them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Good luck. Happy torting!

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!! :) :)
I live 20 minutes from Cols Ohio!!.....closer to Canal Winchester.
GO BUCKS!! :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome! We ha e three sullies. Just love them. Your baby has the best chance of getting everything it needs to be healthy and beautiful. Tom's threads give you step by step instructions on how to care for this kind of baby. Read and read, and when you're finished, read some more. Start with the one he gave you on diet; then, read on the proper environment (temps, humidity, uvb bulb, etc). Have fun with your new baby, and don't forget to share pics of your new darling:)

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
Tom said:
Thank you! I have learned so much already!!! Our "Captive born: people said that we should only feed kale, turnip, mustard and dandelion greens but I see your list is much better!!! I prefer to follow an expert's advice than a pet store..... I am so glad I found the forum!!!
Hello and welcome.

First thing to learn if you haven't yet, is they are NOT desert animals. They need warmth, humidity, hydration, and a damp substrate. They hatch into the african rainy season where its hot humid and swampy. Desert conditions are not good for them.

Next thing is diet. Too many people want to feed them fruits and grocery store foods. Here is a thread I did on feeding them:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-76744.html

Good luck. Happy torting!

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
luvpetz27 said:
Hi and welcome!! :) :)
I live 20 minutes from Cols Ohio!!.....closer to Canal Winchester.
GO BUCKS!! :)

Thanks!!! I may be sending some in depth Ohio fall and winter questions!!!!! LOL..Go Bucks!

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
So much to learn! We are really excited :0) The baby doesn't have a name yet but here is his first day out for a walk (2 month old)

Attachments

• 1237271_574468892611852_1469574026_o.jpg
    1237271_574468892611852_1469574026_o.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 18

teriangeletti

5 Year Member
Ohio
fitst nite home...two momths old

Sent from my LG-VM696 using TortForum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.