NEW SULCATA OWNER IN AZ

Brent morreale

Location (City and/or State)
GILBERT ARIZONA
My wife works for an exotic pets vet and somebody just brought in a hatchling they said they found and couldn't keep it so my wife brought him/her home. i own a beardie but i know they have different requirements i did basic research on husbandry and feeding but am reading up on more. i have soaked the little guy and it pooped alot. but so far hasn't eaten yet i've offered kale and romaine. i also know they are grass eaters so i will get some today. what do you recommend on an enclosure for the little guy to get started. i have a log hide and cypress mulch for substrate and a little water dish also.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need to see pictures so we know for sure what species we're giving you info on.

(Welcome!)

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Exotic pet vet? I'm sure you are the envy of most folks here. Don't worry about the eating yet. Just keep fresh food available. Once it is comfortable enough to eat, it will do so.

Make sure you give it a good variety of food, which should be mostly fresh weeds. It might not take to weeds initially, so just introduce it with your store-bought greens.

As far as enclosure... initially I recommend an enclosed 4x4 area with temps above 80f and humidity at least 80%. You will eventually need a minimum of 4x8. Check out the Enclosures section of the forum for some great ideas.

Much more to recommend to you, but I hate typing on my phone. Lol. Welcome to the forum!

Brent morreale

GILBERT ARIZONA
Exotic pet vet? I'm sure you are the envy of most folks here. Don't worry about the eating yet. Just keep fresh food available. Once it is comfortable enough to eat, it will do so.

Make sure you give it a good variety of food, which should be mostly fresh weeds. It might not take to weeds initially, so just introduce it with your store-bought greens.

As far as enclosure... initially I recommend an enclosed 4x4 area with temps above 80f and humidity at least 80%. You will eventually need a minimum of 4x8. Check out the Enclosures section of the forum for some great ideas.

Much more to recommend to you, but I hate typing on my phone. Lol. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you ! Much appreciated

Brent morreale

GILBERT ARIZONA
here is some pics of the little guy from the soak last night.

Attachments

• IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    926.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    651.6 KB · Views: 9

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think @Neal lives near you! Lucky for you.

Most of the care info you find for this species is old, out-dated and just plain wrong. For 3 decades we've been treating this species like a desert animals, and they are not. Babies hatch at the start of the monsoon season over there. Its hot, wet, rainy, humid and there are puddles and marshes everywhere.

Start with the thread from Maro2Bear and then check out these two:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Brent morreale

GILBERT ARIZONA
I think @Neal lives near you! Lucky for you.

Most of the care info you find for this species is old, out-dated and just plain wrong. For 3 decades we've been treating this species like a desert animals, and they are not. Babies hatch at the start of the monsoon season over there. Its hot, wet, rainy, humid and there are puddles and marshes everywhere.

Start with the thread from Maro2Bear and then check out these two:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
ok sounds good .thx!