1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

New Sulcata owner in Louisiana

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by clevelandj77, Aug 29, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. clevelandj77

clevelandj77 New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    Louisiana
    Hello!! New owner here in Louisiana. We had a red-footed tortoise that escaped a while back. Sadly we never were able to find Fred. But missed having a tortoise in our life. We are now the proud owners of scooter...Sheldon...(we haven’t come up with a proper name yet) a baby Sulcata Tortoise. I have been slightly obsessed with researching how to best care for this “little” guy. I think I understand now why Fred escaped, we were probably doing everything wrong, but he was given to us and we just didn’t know what we were doing, I won’t make that mistake again!! However everyone seems to have different advice on how to care for the Sulcata. My first question is this...how long can this guy happily live in a 4x4 house?? I spent rather a lot of money purchasing a 4x4 greenhouse raised gardening bed that I planned to turn into a terrarium with grasses and plants for him to eat...I expected maybe he could live in this for 1-2 years, and then he could be relocated to an outdoor habitat, but now I am afraid he will outgrow much sooner. Any advice on this or other advice for a new Sulcata owner? I have to admit that I am becoming a bit overwhelmed the more I read, and maybe jumped into this a bit blind, but I am more than ready for the challenge and am welcome to any and all advice from more seasoned Sulcata owners.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  2. Chubbs the tegu

Chubbs the tegu Well-Known Member

Ma
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Welcome and congrats! Read through this thread its great info https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
    And a 4x4 enclosure could last you a year depending on how fast he grows. Definitely take a look at that thread and if you have any questions feel free to ask. There are many knowledgeable people here to answer all your questions and concerns.
    Good luck with your new baby!
    clevelandj77 likes this.
  3. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Welcome to the forum
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
  5. MPappagallo