New Sulcata owner, need help! (Picture of indoor enclosure inside)

nguyenda

Location (City and/or State)
California
I am a new Sulcata owner. My father impulsively bought a tortoise, without knowing it's breed, for my 9 year old brother. So I volunteered to be to one to makes sure this tortoise stays healthy. I feel like I was veered in the wrong direction when I went to petsmart and couple other reptile stores. They recommended this 10 gallon package that included a bunch of reptile needs. I later find out that this enclosure is not big enough and he will outgrow it.
-- But for now is it okay?
I have a 50 watt basking light, that I plan to upgrade to 60 watts for more heat. I currently have a infrared thermometer being shipped so in due time I will be able to get all the temperatures right. The second light I have is a 10.0 UVA/UVB non-coil bulb. I leave the lights on for 12 hours a day.
-- I've read that I can turn the UVB light off, if my Sulcata gets 20 minutes of sunlight outside. The reptile store employee, disagreed with me and told me regardless of that he will still need UVB light on 12 hours. How true is this?
-- I also read on this forum to close the top of a aquarium enclosure to sustain humidity. How do I have my lights set up with a cover to my aquarium enclosure? Currently I have the lights sitting on a mesh lid.
My house at night gets to about currently 68-72 degrees. I want to have it more warm and was told to get a CHE bulb after doing some research. Upon going to the reptile store, the employee sold me a Zoo Med 10 gallon tank heat mat instead. This is currently getting one side of the tank to 73-75 degrees.
-- Is this suffice? Or should I still get a CHE. If suffice, which side do I keep the heat map, on the side where his hideout is?
-- If I need a CHE, how many watts should I aim for?

Here is my Sulcata, about 4 inches long: https://i.imgur.com/oKwUZAX.jpg
Enclosure: https://i.imgur.com/k3eLa07.jpg. I replaced the wooded hideout for a larger one (Plastic tub) that will hold humidity.
-10 gallon aquarium
- 50/50 coco coir/repi bark

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum.

Once again, lots of bad info being passed along by run-of-the mill pet store employees. So, first go to the Species Tab here on the Forum and read all the Sulcata care sheets. This one will get you started https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your enclosure is already too small for your young Sully, looks too dry and substrate too dry as well. A quick look at your sully’s up close pix and looks very dry, eyes don’t look good. I’d today and every day here after until you can’t lift him - give your Sully a nice warm water soak.

Lots of folks will give you other hints, but check your temps, space, lighting, heating, substrate and humidity to that provided in the Sulcata care sheets. Most don’t recommend heat mats, but CHE work well. Larger enclosure (fully. Enclosed) will give you room to set up your proper heat zones.

Hope this helps and gets you and your Sully on track.

nguyenda

California
Greetings and Welcome to the Forum.

Once again, lots of bad info being passed along by run-of-the mill pet store employees. So, first go to the Species Tab here on the Forum and read all the Sulcata care sheets. This one will get you started https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your enclosure is already too small for your young Sully, looks too dry and substrate too dry as well. A quick look at your sully’s up close pix and looks very dry, eyes don’t look good. I’d today and every day here after until you can’t lift him - give your Sully a nice warm water soak.

Lots of folks will give you other hints, but check your temps, space, lighting, heating, substrate and humidity to that provided in the Sulcata care sheets. Most don’t recommend heat mats, but CHE work well. Larger enclosure (fully. Enclosed) will give you room to set up your proper heat zones.

Hope this helps and gets you and your Sully on track.
Yes, the picture if when I first got him. He looks healthier now with the heat lamp and UVB light. What wattage should I aim for with a CHE?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
A very inexpensive enclosure is a plastic bin from homedepot. They are called xmas totes. Or you can build your own from wood. Plywood is the cheapest. Google indoor sulcatta enclosures.