New Sulcata owner needs advice

Floyd Shellington

Location (City and/or State)
Louisville
Hi! I am a new Sulcata owner. I’ve been wanting a tortoise for years and my husband surprised me with an early birthday present this past Tuesday. My baby, who we don’t know the sex of yet, is named Floyd Shellington. I have been doing so much reading and seeing so many contradictions in information. I am seeking advice on proper care and enclosures. We are currently at the vet for a general checkup. I just want to make sure my baby is thriving and happy and not just existing.
I have not been seeing him eat much at all. Today was the first time I’ve actually seen him eat two dandelion leaves. Yesterday, he ate two bites of a clover. I don’t know if he is pooping. I don’t know how to tell. I’ve soaked him daily for about 15 minutes each soak. I’m scared he is going to to drown or get water where he isn’t supposed to. I’ve read not to let the water get above the Carapace suture. Super hard to do with him bring so tiny. I’m sure I’m just being a nervous momma, but I love him soooo much already and I don’t want anything to happen to him. This pic is of the second day we had him. I have since replaced the bowl with his more permanent hiding hut and he has a food and water bowl setup. The blue and pink plastic container was what he arrived in and I thought he might like to have a familiar smell for a day or two. The second pic is his travel container. Please help a new owner. I would love advice on how to properly care for him.E5DAED11-929E-469D-AD73-159084E73E72.jpeg

Attachments

• 1E792FDB-8D41-43E8-8417-09CA98E8878B.jpeg
    1E792FDB-8D41-43E8-8417-09CA98E8878B.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I am a new Sulcata owner. I’ve been wanting a tortoise for years and my husband surprised me with an early birthday present this past Tuesday. My baby, who we don’t know the sex of yet, is named Floyd Shellington. I have been doing so much reading and seeing so many contradictions in information. I am seeking advice on proper care and enclosures. We are currently at the vet for a general checkup. I just want to make sure my baby is thriving and happy and not just existing.
I have not been seeing him eat much at all. Today was the first time I’ve actually seen him eat two dandelion leaves. Yesterday, he ate two bites of a clover. I don’t know if he is pooping. I don’t know how to tell. I’ve soaked him daily for about 15 minutes each soak. I’m scared he is going to to drown or get water where he isn’t supposed to. I’ve read not to let the water get above the Carapace suture. Super hard to do with him bring so tiny. I’m sure I’m just being a nervous momma, but I love him soooo much already and I don’t want anything to happen to him. This pic is of the second day we had him. I have since replaced the bowl with his more permanent hiding hut and he has a food and water bowl setup. The blue and pink plastic container was what he arrived in and I thought he might like to have a familiar smell for a day or two. The second pic is his travel container. Please help a new owner. I would love advice on how to properly care for him.
Hello and welcome! Congrats on the new baby!

There is soooooo much old, out-dated, wrong info out in the world for this species... Forget everything you've been reading and just read the care sheet from the link that Mark left for you. Maybe read it twice just to purge all the other stuff! :)

Then come back with all your questions. We are happy to explain in more detail wherever needed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to you and Shellington. This forum is all you need. Like Tom said read the thread Mark sent you and ask questions.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
My advice for almost all African species of tortoise is listen to @Tom and this specific forum. Don’t trust other websites or Facebook groups or even the breeder you got your tortoise from. Trust me when I say I’ve been through enough to say, this is the only reliable source of information for a baby tortoise. If someone On here says you need to fix something, fix it fast, because baby tortoises are fragile and NO one tells you that. Trust that everyone here is just trying to help you and your new baby succeed. I wish you ALL the luck with your little guy, he’s adorable btw. ??