New Sulcata Owner! So excited but so nervous!

Macwilburn13

Hello! New Tortoise Owner here. Right now his name is Walter and he a is a Sulcata Tortoise. I live in Northern Kentucky and I purchased him in Ohio at a reptile show. I think the man said he was a few months old (if you have a better idea on his age id love to hear!) Here is what Im working with:

Enclosure- 30 gallon tank (for now, currently putting together plans for a table), Screen top (covered most of it in plexiglass to raise humidity)
Substrate- Cypress Mulch about 3 inches deep
Lighting: Powersun UVB/heat Lamp - Keeps basket spot around 90-100
Night black heat bulb that keeps ambient temp around 75-80
Diet: Mostly Mix of local grass, dandelions, Spring mix, with Mazuri Tortoise food (2 pellets softened a day)
Supplements: I have cuttlebone/zoo-med rep calcium with D3, that I scrape a little onto his food twice a week (If need more or different please tell me)
Humidity: I spray his enclosure a few times a day, soak him twice a day for about 15-20 minutes each. The humidity near the basking area stays 60-65% and everywhere else it is at about 80-85%
Outside Time: He currently does not get a ton of time outside as temperatures here are still fluctuating between Low 70s and high 40s (weather here is unpredictable), I take him out as much as possible but like I said I have a lamp with UVB.

This is Walter! He is so cute to me. I have had "him" for a month and he has gained about 6 grams a week since I got him. He started about 56 grams (2 ounces) and tonight weighs 76 grams (2.7 ounces). When I first got him his scutes were a bit raised and ridged so Im worried about early pyramiding but humidity and soaking wise I think Ive been doing what I can. Any advise or thoughts (maybe on age?) would be appreciated. He's also started borrowing which I find kinda cute even though he has moved everything in his tank around ha.
IMG_2030.JPGIMG_2053.JPGIMG_2074.JPGIMG_2128.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2132.JPGIMG_2030.JPGIMG_2053.JPGIMG_2074.JPGIMG_2128.JPGIMG_2131.JPGIMG_2132.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. Follow our sulcata care sheet and you will get the pyramiding to stop. A closed chamber is the best way to house him until around the age of two. UVB will be blocked by screen and plexiglass.
A wide variety in his diet is good without fruit being part of it. Too high in sugars. The calcium is good as long as it's a small pinch. Soaks are good too.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Paris, Texas
Welcome! You have a good looking baby and it looks like you're doing great! Just keep up the soaks daily, my baby is 6 months old and looked exactly like Walter did when I got him but all his new growth is smooth. Your baby is going to turn out great if you take care of him the way it sounds you do.

Last edited:

Macwilburn13

The bit of strawberry you see in one picture was just a tiny bite for easter. Fruit is not part of his diet :)