New Sulcata owner

Chadabwts

Hi guys, so as stated i am a new Sulcata owner. Saw it at an out of town pet store, and fell in love with it. We have had it, and i say "it" because we have no idea if its a boy or girl. So after some research i have decided that the store where i purchased my new Sulcata was very uninformed. Im not sure how old my Sulcata is but im guessing about a year old its about 6.5 inches long. Seems to have some pyramiding.. They told me to keep his enclosures very dry and after doing some reading I've discovered that not to be true. So here it is.. Can this pyramiding be corrected ? It is very active and seems very healthy.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
At 6.5 inches, there will always be a remnant of the pyramiding he's sustained thus far! You can stop it dead in its track...but you'll need to make some changes to his environment!

Here's my care sheet...which give better than average details on how to keep these guys!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/african-spurred-tortoise-sulcata-care-sheet.52524/

Here's Tom's post...which fills in ALL the blanks!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, this tortoise is way too big to be in an aquarium. He needs to be outside in a large yard. I understand its winter and you have to keep him warm. But you need to make him a much bigger space than an aquarium. Then be thinking about building him a shed or heated shelter outside for next winter...or finish off the basement so he can have more room.

Your tortoise's carapace is set. The pyramiding won't go away. But if you follow the two care sheets linked in the above post, and give him more humidity and exercise the new growth will come in flat/smooth, so as he grows the bumps get farther apart.

Lack of humidity/moisture in a tortoise's environment is the main cause of pyramiding, but there are three other very important things to consider too: exercise, the right food and a nice variety and UVB either from the sun or an expensive light. It's a balance.

Chadabwts

Thanks guys yeah the pet store recommended the 55 gallon aquarium as a start im in the process of building him a tortoise table. With him needing humidity ill make it a closed top rather than an open air setup. The guy at the store said the 55 gallon would last a couple more years what an idiot.

Chadabwts

One last question.So how do you guys maintain a humidity level of 80 %.? My home runs at around 35 %. I moistened the substrate on the warm side of the enclosure, and its not raising much at all. He also has a pretty good size water dish on the cool side which is at 80 degrees, warm side at 90.I put some wood over top the screened top to try and hold the moisture. I saw that a guy can get a system by Exo Terra called the Monsoon 4200 would something like this be useful in a tortoise table during the winter months ? Thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is how you maintain higher humidity and goos temperatures:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

In addition to the above advice, it appears you have some MBD starting too. Your tortoise needs a proper diet and a strong, but safe UV source right away. I would get a long Arcadia 12% HO bulb to hang over the enclosure in addition to your basking bulb and your CHE to maintain ambient.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I'm glad that you found this forum, we have all the correct information to rise a sulcata, Good to have you here! !!