New Sulcata Owner! (:

P

pguinpro

Saw one of these bad boys at a serpentarium and had to get him or her idk yet Haha. Anyways I got a 20gal tank temporarily and recommended equipment. It already ate today but never had any water [emoji848] also had an issue with it pacing up and down the sides of the tank looking at reflection so I put brown paper bags on that side. Additionally the temperatures have been all over the place which is a major concern. Half the tank reads 90-100 and other is 79-88 with 54%-60ish humidity. Other than that seems to be doing well and am excited. Any tips greatly appreciated.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

If you cover that aquarium, you can get a more stable temperature.

P

pguinpro

Also only grass I have in my yard here in CA is mouse barley20180529-101905.jpeg

P

pguinpro

Still waiting on some things in the mail so this tank is pretty bare. Having issues with humidity or maybe it's broken idk. He wont drink water either which is freaking me out.20180529_104900.jpeg1527616183117.jpeg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Your going to have to cover that to get the humidity you need. Some people use tin foil, or a garbage bag. Also for grass, a lot of people here buy this and grow it in kiddie pools or small containers

https://www.tortoisesupply.com/TestudoMix

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You don't have to worry about that. You will open everyday to feed and water him, and that will be plenty of air.

P

pguinpro

You don't have to worry about that. You will open everyday to feed and water him, and that will be plenty of air.
So humidity is at 56 height now and I want to lower it cause card says aim for 20-40%. What if i covered 3/4?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
It is extremely important that you read the links Tom gave you. You need 80-100 % humidity at all times.
The first plant you showed is toxic and should not be fed.

P

pguinpro

It is extremely important that you read the links Tom gave you. You need 80-100 % humidity at all times.
I read the the thread in regards to pyramiding. I have covered the top with aluminum except for underneath the heat light. So he ate that clover thingy will he get sick? Also is there a way o can check which weeds are okay for feeding? What about second plant okay? I have tons of it in my back yard [emoji23]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I read the the thread in regards to pyramiding. I have covered the top with aluminum except for underneath the heat light. So he ate that clover thingy will he get sick? Also is there a way o can check which weeds are okay for feeding? What about second plant okay? I have tons of it in my back yard [emoji23]
There is an app called "picture this" you can download that allows you to take a picture, and it tells you what the plant is usually. Then download the app called "tortoise table" you canlook up the plants you find with this and it will tell you if it's safe for your tort.

daniellenc

Maryland
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/#.Ww2j3YgvyUk

The tortoise table has a large database of foods you will encounter and tells you what is safe and what is not. The links @Tom already posted also give in detail a safe and varied diet to feed so read those. Tortoises are an involved animal to care for so doing your research is very important.

P

pguinpro

How often do you spray the dirt? I sprayed it and humidity sensor read 84% then hour later read 72%...

daniellenc

Maryland
In an open top table you’ll have to add water several times a day. You can fashion a lid though and cut a hole for your basking lights. Look at the Christmas tree plastic totes at Walmart $38 will give you a closed chamber that’s much easier to maintain.