New Sulcata owner

Dandog

Location (City and/or State)
Riverside
Just adopted a 10 yr old Sulcata. She has almost my entire back yard. It is big and 90% grass. She seems happy and has accepted my grown daughters and myself. She does like to cruise around the yard 3-4 times a dayfor maybe an hour each time.. Doesn't seemed stressed. Then goes back to her hut. I assume this is normal. Yes?

Attachments

• 16588802923681292131690992717622.jpg
    16588802923681292131690992717622.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Wow, he is a BEAST of Beasts! There is a set of Care sheets, right up there ^, that will hook you up! They are really good and you will find that a lot of what you thought was right, isn't.

I'm old and even I learned new stuff. They were written by pros and are by far, the best I've seen anywhere!

Good luck,
jeff

FWIW: Don't feed him fruit!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Wow! That's a big old girl!!!! Her shell has some unique designs after these years of her life!!!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
You are gonna need to supplement her diet...I grow as much tortoise food as I can...If I lived in Riverside (Calif) I'd go crazy growing...Rose of Sharon, Grapes for the leafs, dandelions flowers and leafs, to name a few...welcome and read this if you haven't yet...
this is my tortoise shed needed in the PNW...100_1891.JPG
and the end result of all the growing is this...100_3200 (1).JPG
she gets this amount twice a day...except for the grape vines my neighbors throw over the fence...100_3166.JPG
do a search on Mary Knobbins if you want to know the things you shoulda known before you took in that lady... if you wanna see a sample of the fun you are about to have...lol100_3015.JPG
Mary likes the sprinkler 'cept she closes her eyes against the water100_7676.JPGand she swims too..have fun with your girl, and you might get her chipped in case she gets out...and she will try hard...at times...100_5048.JPG

Attachments

• 100_3170.JPG
    100_3170.JPG
    855 KB · Views: 2

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I should say that Mary K is a rescue and I'v only had her for 6 years I think...she was already pyramided when she came to torture me...Mary got too big for her tire, so she is stuck under it...I have a video somewhere of her walking around with it stuck on her...lol100_0437.JPG

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just adopted a 10 yr old Sulcata. She has almost my entire back yard. It is big and 90% grass. She seems happy and has accepted my grown daughters and myself. She does like to cruise around the yard 3-4 times a dayfor maybe an hour each time.. Doesn't seemed stressed. Then goes back to her hut. I assume this is normal. Yes?
Hello and welcome.

Orchard grass hay and opuntia pads are great staples to feed your new brute. Grape leaves and mulberry leaves are also great additions and easy to find.

You are going to need a heated, insulated night box no later than September. Here are two examples. Questions are welcome.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A warm welcome to the forum to you and your tort.