Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Kristina:

I'm going to yell at you a bit, but please know that I only have the best interest of your baby tortoise at heart.

Your very first post said that your baby is sluggish and hardly opens his eyes. We're trying to address that problem. What you've been told by the pet shop or by friends or whoever, is basically wrong. You need to read Tom's thread that I gave you the link to. He didn't say to use the long tube fluorescent bulb. He said that if your tortoise can't get any outside time and real sunshine, then you need to use an MVB (mercury vapor bulb). Your baby is hardly getting any UVB from the tube light, and without it, his calcium is just getting pee'd out and not used to make strong bones and shell.

An MVB is heat and UVB all in one bulb. So you only need the one fixture for daytime, then another for night time to house a CHE or black light.

Have you started the baby food or vitamin soaks? Are you seeing any improvement in his lethargy?

Kvenegas

5 Year Member
Milwaukee, WI
I soaked him in the baby food as soon as I got home from work. The light we have is a Zilla 18" flourescent. I took out the Timothy hay and also added a little baby food on top of some endive. I really thought we were doing everything right.

Going to get an MVB tomorrow and new substrate. He has opened his eyes a bit more but still pretty sleepy. I'll try the vitamin soak tomorrow. Thanks for all your input! :)

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum.... sounds like all the good advice has been taken or rather given...

Status
Not open for further replies.