New sulcata owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmysulcata

5 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm new to all this im glad I found this group there's so much good info! My name is Linsey I'm from Kansas and I just bought my first sulcata! I'm not sure if she's a girl or boy but I'm calling her a girl LOL how early can you tell if they are m/f? What kind of bedding should I use? If I want to clean her shell want can I use? I have SO many questions!!! ;) thanks for all your help!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Where in Kansas are you? I am in Nebraska, but only a few miles from the KS border. How did you happen to decide to get a sulcata? What are you using for an enclosure? For substrate, I myself (and my tortoises) prefer the coir expandable bricks with a small percentage of sand added. Is the shell just dusty or something more on it? I just use a soft toothbrush and water on the shells when needed.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
Welcome! You won't be able to tell the sex of your baby for a few years. Depends in size more than age. I use coconut fiber as my substrate. It holds in moisture nicely.

luvmysulcata

5 Year Member
luvmysulcata said:
Hi everyone I'm new to all this im glad I found this group there's so much good info! My name is Linsey I'm from Kansas and I just bought my first sulcata! I'm not sure if she's a girl or boy but I'm calling her a girl LOL how early can you tell if they are m/f? What kind of bedding should I use? If I want to clean her shell want can I use? I have SO many questions!!! ;) thanks for all your help!

Im in Topeka! Well when we brought her home we had sand cause that's what the guy at the reptile show told Me to use! It lasted 5 mins LOL it would stick to her etc. So then I put this reptile carpet stuff in there with a heating pad under half the Cage and a UV blub and a normal bulb on top we have 3 dogs snakes toads and frogs and a alligator! so I decided on a tort! I'm in love with her! She's so neat! I would like to get her a buddy I paid 85 for her is that expensive? What are some good foods? And I have this spray calicum should I spray it on her food? Thanks for the big welcome everyone!!

Jacqui said:
Hi and welcome! Where in Kansas are you? I am in Nebraska, but only a few miles from the KS border. How did you happen to decide to get a sulcata? What are you using for an enclosure? For substrate, I myself (and my tortoises) prefer the coir expandable bricks with a small percentage of sand added. Is the shell just dusty or something more on it? I just use a soft toothbrush and water on the shells when needed.

Oh and on her shell she has some food around her mouth and some dirt o. Her shell so I wanted to clean it and some dry skin by her neck

SuzieArizona

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
luvmysulcata said:

Welcome. I thought for years my sulcata "Pancake" was a girl. Then one morning I noticed something hanging out. It's a good thing "Pancake" could go for either a boy or girl. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll give it a great home.

luvmysulcata

5 Year Member
SuzieArizona said:
Welcome. I thought for years my sulcata "Pancake" was a girl. Then one morning I noticed something hanging out. It's a good thing "Pancake" could go for either a boy or girl. Good luck with yours, I'm sure you'll give it a great home.

How cute! What do you feed your tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.