New sulcata parent

Ser

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Hey everyone!
I'm new to sulcatas. I've been doing rehabilitation and release for native red ear sliders in my area for a few years. I've been obsessed with Sulcatas for a while and had the opportunity to get a hatchling a few days ago. The person I got her from said she was 4 months old, she seems a lot younger? They where soaking her 2x a week and I've upped that to once a day and put a dish in her enclosure as well. She seems to be eating and pooping just fine. Here are some pics.IMG_20180828_100739.jpg 15357209132091340431340.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

I like to inform people so they know what they are dealing with. Sometimes its not the best news, but I think it is better to know. That tortoise is probably about 2-4 week out of the egg, tops. Maybe less. It still has a prominent egg tooth. The egg tooth has completely gone away by 4-6 weeks, and you would see new growth between the scutes as well.

Soaking twice a week is not the right way to start a baby. Since they lied about the age, they likely lied about this too. What else did they lie about concerning how this baby was started?

In any case, on to the good news. The baby looks pretty good, so hopefully everything will go smoothly and you'll have a giant tortoise companion for decades to come.

Most of the info for care and feeding on this species you will find is old, wrong, and based on incorrect assumptions about how this species lives in the wild and what they need. Sounds like you have already found the right info since you are soaking daily. Here is all the right stuff in one location for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please feel free to ask lots of questions. We are here to talk tortoises.

Last edited:

Ser

Arkansas
Hello and welcome.

I like to inform people so they know what they are dealing with. Sometimes its not the best news, but I think it is better to know. That tortoise is probably about 2-4 week out of the egg, tops. Maybe less. It still has a prominent egg tooth. The egg tooth has completely gone away by 4-6 weeks, and you would see new growth between the scutes as well.

Soaking twice a week is not the right way to start a baby. Since they lied about the age, they likely lied about this too. What else did they lie about concerning how this baby was started?

In any case, on to the good news. The baby looks pretty good, so hopefully everything will go smoothly and you'll have a giant tortoise companion for decades to come.

Most of the info for care and feeding on this species you will find is old, wrong, and based on incorrect assumptions about how this species lives in the wild and what they need. Sounds like you have already found the right info since you are soaking daily. Here is all the right stuff in one location for you:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Please feel free to ask lots of questions. We are here to talk tortoises.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'm not sure what all they lied about and how much was done in ignorance. I know that previous my hatchling was kept in about 75 degree room and the pic they had was of a teeny aquarium with felt cloth as a bedding. I've switched that to an aquarium that's 12 x 24 and got Cypress mulch for bedding.. I ordered a wire mesh top for my big aquarium and waiting til that comes in to switch to it. I have a cat so I don't want to risk injury in the meantime. They told me to feed her kale so I'm guessing that's all she got before. I'm having success with wheat grass,clover,and dandelions. I planted some organic grass seed that should be sprouting in a few days. My regular yard grass seems a bit tough but I'm mixing that in the clipping pile as well..

Reactions: Tom

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
I'm not sure what all they lied about and how much was done in ignorance.

Because lying and ingnorance marketing are the best selling tools on the planet. Caveat Emptor.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Welcome! You have such a cute tort!

I saw that you mentioned a new wire top to your tank. A hatchling needs to be in a closed chamber that will hold in the heat and humidity. Do a search on here for closed chamber. You will find lots of ideas.

Reactions: Ser

Ser

Arkansas
Will do! Thanks!

I live in Arkansas, and the humidity in the tank is staying between 60%-80% as is. And the heat on the basking spot is right under 100F and 80F on the other end. Is this okay for now? I have a hide where the humidity would be a bit more. But she spends most of the time basking and going to the water dish.. I'm a bit worried because of the age, my experience level, and not knowing what kind of start she has had .

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Welcome!! If she is that young, you have better odds of correcting the bad start.. your are in the right place and these people are amazing and knowledgeable sources! Good luck & congratulations!

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Will do! Thanks!

I live in Arkansas, and the humidity in the tank is staying between 60%-80% as is. And the heat on the basking spot is right under 100F and 80F on the other end. Is this okay for now? I have a hide where the humidity would be a bit more. But she spends most of the time basking and going to the water dish.. I'm a bit worried because of the age, my experience level, and not knowing what kind of start she has had .
Make sure it doesn’t go below 80 anywhere. Where do you have the tank? Also, what are you using to check the humidity and temps?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Oh, I have the tank under a window in my living room, air vent is on the other side but I keep my house at 75 anyways.
The problem with a screen top is that your heat and humidity are escaping through it. It needs to be a stable environment.

Ser

Arkansas
Does this help any in determining age?

Attachments

• IMG_20180901_115053.jpg
    IMG_20180901_115053.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33