New sulcata parent

Ser

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Update..

It's not going so well. I'm guessing baby had a bad start.. a very cold one for sure because the previous owners had no heat source. I purchased the hatchling off Facebook garage sale. After a bit of proding i found out a teen had bought it from a a local petshop without permission (They didn't want to tell bc they pet shop sells them for 150$ and I purchased for $20). I stopped by the petshop to see what condition everything was in. Babies where barely alive and it broke my heart. The where being kept in a dry container, fed small amounts of kale only with no heat source. I was acting like I was interested in buying one and they said to soak 2x a week and room temp (70 degrees) was fine. The worker told me they where 4 months old but I'm guessing just a couple weeks. They where under 2 inches and weighing in at approximately 30 grams..

I contacted the closest Sulcta vet and they basically told me there was nothing I could do. "Milly" has been very lethargic and has barely opened her eyes in over a week . I had her in a tank the for the firfi few days I had her but switched to a brooding box seeing as the yolk scar hadn't closed.

I've been soaking her 2x a day in a "grass smoothie" and offering fresh food constantly. Last bowel movement was 6 days prior, but yesterday she had one and today 2. Good sign and no overall weight loss..

But I'm not holding my breath and honestly don't have much hope but would like to do everything possible. Until fate takes it course, whatever that may be.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Sorry to hear that. Keep some hope!

I understand he / she was raised cold, but what are the temperatures now?

Ser

Arkansas
Sorry to hear that. Keep some hope!

I understand he / she was raised cold, but what are the temperatures now?[/QUOTE

86F - 98F is the range in the enclosure. 70-80% humidity. Bowel movement today looked normal as far as hydration. 45 minutes supervised outdoor time and it's been in the upper 80s outside.

Ser

Arkansas
86F - 98F is the range in the enclosure. 70-80% humidity. Bowel movement today looked normal as far as hydration. 45 minutes supervised outdoor time and it's been in the upper 80s outside.

I was rubbing the back of her shell to get her to wake up before the nightly soak and I think she peed on me. I'm not so worried about hydration ATM. I really wish she'd eat something. I started doing baby carrot puree soaks as well.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Wow! Makes me upset about those pet stores. Nice of you to come to the rescue.
Good luck

Reactions: Ser

Arzu78

San Juan, Puerto Rico

I was rubbing the back of her shell to get her to wake up before the nightly soak and I think she peed on me. I'm not so worried about hydration ATM. I really wish she'd eat something. I started doing baby carrot puree soaks as well.
Right now I’m on the same predicament with Jack, he is not eating at all, doing the carrot soaks, but taking him to the vet tomorrow to check for parasites. Had everything wrong, you need to seal the enclosure ASAP