New sulcata spends all his time in a corner

Yaksha

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, AZ
I adopted a desert salcata from the local Herpatalogical society. He's about three years old and was very lively at the rescue. I brought him home and while he was adventurous at first, eventually he decided the safest place for him is in the corner near the sliding glass patio door.

He's basically been there for two days, I've moved him a few times into the grassy area, but after a few minutes he'll migrate back to his corner.

It's been a little cold out, low 60s at night, he has a heated house just a few feet away. I've put him in there as well but he just leaves and goes back to the corner.

Is this anything I should be worried about?

http://www.imgur.com/6HoZ030

http://www.imgur.com/otpzs8P

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I would block him in at night to keep him in the heated house. Cold will make him sick. He is new to the territory so it will take time for him to get use to it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Lismar is right. I agree.

Your night box should have a door so you can lock him in there at night.

Something that will help tremendously is to put the night box in that corner. I'll bet he starts using it the first night if you do.

Can you post some pics of your night box and what you are using to heat it? We might have some insight to offer if we see it.

Here are some examples that might give you some ideas:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-best-night-box-design-yet.66867/

Hello and welcome to the forum, and where are you located?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
:tort:Welcome to the forum. I've recently had the same problem with my Greek tortoise (that won't eat). It used to roam around the place when out of its enclosure. Lately, I'd take it out of the enclosure, put it on the floor, and I'd challenge anyone if it moved one centimetre. Am still wonderinyg why.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Yaksha, and welcome to the forum!

Yes to what Tom said: Place the heated shelter in the corner where the tortoise wants to be. Are you in SoCal? It has been a bit on the cool side, and that might be affecting your tortoise's actions. Spending some time in the heated shelter will help him warm up clear down to the core. I'll bet you'll see a bit more activity out of him once he gets warmed back up.

It is common for the tortoise to want to hide when he's been moved to a new home. They usually get over their shyness in a week or so.

Yaksha

5 Year Member
Phoenix, AZ
Right now what I am using is temporary while I get something better built. It's actually a composter, similar to this. I have a 150W ceramic heat lamp hanging from the top (it's about 18 inches above the shell) to heat it up during the night. I've kept the side panel off so he can go in and out, but I'll start keeping it closed during the night.

I'm located in Phoenix

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for the door idea. My R/Fs keep wandering back outside and it's been in the 60s at night. I've been forced to bring them inside. Stubborn or dumb?

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Right now what I am using is temporary while I get something better built. It's actually a composter, similar to this. I have a 150W ceramic heat lamp hanging from the top (it's about 18 inches above the shell) to heat it up during the night. I've kept the side panel off so he can go in and out, but I'll start keeping it closed during the night.

I'm located in Phoenix

Do you know what temp that holds at night with the door closed? You'll want to know that before you force him in there and close it up. I built my guy a heated night box (toms design in the link above) and he wouldn't use it the first few nights. It's a good think I was double checking the temps before I locked him in because I had the thermostat wired backwards and his box was 100 degrees.... Which is why he wasn't using it. Once I fixed that it keeps nice and toasty at 80 and I can't get his fat lazy but out, lol.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the door idea. My R/Fs keep wandering back outside and it's been in the 60s at night. I've been forced to bring them inside. Stubborn or dumb?

Neither. They are just in a foreign land that they are not adapted to. A little help from us will keep them healthy and thriving.