New Sulcata with damaged shell from dog bite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twin mom

5 Year Member
Hey guys, this is Franklin, he is about a year old. I got him from a friend about a week ago. I know she wasn't taking care of him as she should. I believe she fed him mainly bagged spring mix and hardly got any sunlight or UVB. I know she also only gave him calcium supp two times a month. Do you guys think he looks pretty healthy?
He also got bit by a dog and has damage on his back, I tried to get a good pic without taking him out. I have been doing daily soaks, calcium, grass feeds, high humidity, and a lot of sunshine. I am not sure when he got bit, but it would have to have been a while back.
I have also found a couple places where the shell looks "detached around the bottom like the scutes that go around the bottom are damaged.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 219

Twin mom

5 Year Member
image.jpgHis plastron also has some damage, here is the pic. Sorry, can't figure out hot to attach more than one pic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin mom

5 Year Member
image.jpgHere is a pic of the damage around the bottom. Oh, and the dog bite was two months ago.

In the first thread.....does he already have signs of pyramiding?

image.jpgSorry, can't figure out how to post more than one pic at a time.

Here is his plastron. There is also a little damage there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) Yes he has pyramiding already. Does he act and eat okay? The scute on top with the hole in it, does it go all the way in? The bottom, plastron doesn't look too bad. Get him set up correctly, feed him a batter diet, and give him calcium twice a week and a cuttlebone for when he wants more calcium. I would be careful to keep the hole in the scute cleaned. Also, lots of good sunshine. Good luck, glad you decided to take him in. Your friend didn't do him any favors.

Twin mom

5 Year Member
I really don't know how far it goes. I cleaned him with a tooth brush today and rubbed it real good. It kinda just looks like its filled with dirt. Should I poke around in it?

This is my first tort so to me he is pretty active. He is eating well. I haven't had any problems changing him to a healthy diet. I've left him outside all day the past two days for sun and he gets at least two hours a day on weekdays. Also soaks once a day on weekdays, twice on weekends. Spray shell about four or five times daily. I assume he wasn't kept in high humidity either.

L82lalaland

5 Year Member
Lakeside, California
Welcome, what a lucky little tort to have found you...you have started the first step to making him healthy by coming to this forum I have learned so much here in the few months I have been a member. He is a little cutie.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi and welcome. Yes, your little one is truly fortunate to have you. If you haven't taken your tort to a vet visit, I would for two reasons. First, he should have that hole on his carapace looked at and properly cleaned out. You may even need to put some antibiotic on it. Second, he should be checked for worms or parasites.

As you can see, torts and dogs do not mix. I recommend you read Tom's thread below my name. You have provided a safe place for your tort. Now you will learn all the things you need to do to ensure a safe, healthy tortoise. Please keep us posted. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

Twin mom

5 Year Member
Thanks guys! I have obsessively been reading on this forum learning so much info on raising Franklin.

argus333

5 Year Member
id take him off the mulch for a while and maybe wrap that up with some athletic tape. keep him on some slightly moist paper towels. give him lots of grass and get him in the sun but keep it clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.