New sulcatas, worried one might have MBD

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is there a way that I would be able to tell age. I was told about 2 yours old but they are not big at all. I took a picture with a Bic lighter next to the larger for reference. He isn't much longer than the lighter. If he is 2 he is really small for his age, correct?
Unfortunately they were not cared for properly. They could actually be 2 but stunted because of their care. I rescued a leopard tortoise who was way under sized and couldn't walk. Hydrotherapy and proper care got him to catch up in size and he walks great now and is fast.

TeaQueen22

Albuquerque
Unfortunately they were not cared for properly. They could actually be 2 but stunted because of their care. I rescued a leopard tortoise who was way under sized and couldn't walk. Hydrotherapy and proper care got him to catch up in size and he walks great now and is fast.
Awe!! These guys have been pretty dry as well. They love the water and when I mist them! I'm glad that I am a healer, I was meant to find these poor guys and this forum.

TeaQueen22

Albuquerque
Could that be why the larger one can't walk, drags she'll when walking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Could that be why the larger one can't walk, drags she'll when walking.
Yes could be. Hard to say for sure.
Once you get them all set up properly and mure proper diet, you could try the hydrotherapy. I did it in my tub. Put in enough warm water that he has to swim. If he sinks, put a couple fingers under him just to help hold him up. Make him move/swim, for most of the time. I did 1/2 hour at least twice a day. It's not a fast recovery. I can't remember how long, but months. Once he seems to have improved, I cut back to once a day. Lots of room to roam too.

TeaQueen22

Albuquerque
Yes could be. Hard to say for sure.
Once you get them all set up properly and mure proper diet, you could try the hydrotherapy. I did it in my tub. Put in enough warm water that he has to swim. If he sinks, put a couple fingers under him just to help hold him up. Make him move/swim, for most of the time. I did 1/2 hour at least twice a day. It's not a fast recovery. I can't remember how long, but months. Once he seems to have improved, I cut back to once a day. Lots of room to roam too.
Awesome! That sounds like something they both can use for a while. The large guy more so but I think I'll do both to make sure they are strong and get a true fighting chance. Thank you!! I'm definitely going to do this

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Awesome! That sounds like something they both can use for a while. The large guy more so but I think I'll do both to make sure they are strong and get a true fighting chance. Thank you!! I'm definitely going to do this
Here's another thought thrown your way. The bigger tort is bullying the smaller one. You referring to both of them. You simply cannot have 2 Sulcata in the same habitat. In "rescuing" them the very first thing is separation. The smaller one is smaller because the bigger tort is getting most of the food, the best sleeping place and all that stressful stuff is affecting the smaller one. They are NOT cuddling up together, the bigger one will fight for the best sleeping place..eat most of the food and push the other tort around stressing out the smaller tort....I am not a Vet nor am I an expert. But thats what I see...

TeaQueen22

Albuquerque
Here's another thought thrown your way. The bigger tort is bullying the smaller one. You referring to both of them. You simply cannot have 2 Sulcata in the same habitat. In "rescuing" them the very first thing is separation. The smaller one is smaller because the bigger tort is getting most of the food, the best sleeping place and all that stressful stuff is affecting the smaller one. They are NOT cuddling up together, the bigger one will fight for the best sleeping place..eat most of the food and push the other tort around stressing out the smaller tort....I am not a Vet nor am I an expert. But thats what I see...
Thank you! You are absolutely correct, after watching them since Saturday I have seen some of the bullying you are talking about, sleeping on the food, cuddling and such. Today they are getting bigger enclosures and separated, I learn just yesterday they can't be together and have been moving quickly to get them both set up. I'm still "rescuing" them from the situation they were in, just working on getting them in the best situation they can be in. Thanks for your advice.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you! You are absolutely correct, after watching them since Saturday I have seen some of the bullying you are talking about, sleeping on the food, cuddling and such. Today they are getting bigger enclosures and separated, I learn just yesterday they can't be together and have been moving quickly to get them both set up. I'm still "rescuing" them from the situation they were in, just working on getting them in the best situation they can be in. Thanks for your advice.
Please hang around and ask questions and remember...we are here to help make sick and rescued chelonia better. Here is a rescued Sulcata who was living on the streets of downtown Portland Oregon. I understard the 'rescue' thing. It's not as easy as people think and takes so long to see results...This is Mary Knobbins, we 'think' she is about 8 years old and she's 45 pounds and should be closer to 100 pounds...I used Wellington's hydration advice for months and months...now she's a hellion...100_0437.JPG
100_3974.JPG

TeaQueen22

Albuquerque
Please hang around and ask questions and remember...we are here to help make sick and rescued chelonia better. Here is a rescued Sulcata who was living on the streets of downtown Portland Oregon. I understard the 'rescue' thing. It's not as easy as people think and takes so long to see results...This is Mary Knobbins, we 'think' she is about 8 years old and she's 45 pounds and should be closer to 100 pounds...I used Wellington's hydration advice for months and months...now she's a hellion...View attachment 353977
View attachment 353978
Awe look at her!! She's looking strong. I love the name lol
She give me great hope for these guys.
Thank you! I definitely will.