New to forum. Can anyone tell if my Ibera is fully grown?

LJL1982

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi

I'm new to the forum and have a (feel free to correct me or advise of subspecies) Northern Turkish Ibera who is apparently male (apologies for graphic photos but guess it contributes to whether he's adult yet)...I wanted to double check he is an Ibera and also mainly whether he is likely fully grown.

He's 5 years old, hasn't hibernated this year (or ever but hopefully next year) and weighs about 830grms with a 7 inch SCL there or thereabouts. He lives outdoors summer and indoors November to April (weather dependent etc.).

We are based in South Wales and his name is Tortoise (I know, I know. The cats are Tabby and Kitty).

@HermanniChris and everyone I would welcome comment/ advise/ constructive critiscism.

Thank you and also hello!

LJ

Attachments

• 20211119_152550.jpg
    20211119_152550.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
  • 20211119_130934.jpg
    20211119_130934.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
  • 20211125_134927.jpg
    20211125_134927.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 20211125_135117.jpg
    20211125_135117.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211207_130848.jpg
    20211207_130848.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211207_130834.jpg
    20211207_130834.jpg
    749.9 KB · Views: 31

LJL1982

UK
Also...just realised that weight/ length would leave his Jackson ratio as underweight...but he eats well and feels as if he's "full of water"...I'll take the weighing scales home from work tonight and give him an actual weight but it gives you the idea of his size.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
At five years old he is not fully grown. However the growth now will be less noticeable.
I can't help with I being Ibera or not.
The substrate should be changed though. Coconut coir or orchid bark.

LJL1982

UK
At five years old he is not fully grown. However the growth now will be less noticeable.
Thank you for your input! Interested to see you mentioned the substrate as he always had mixed substrate and did very well on it. I recently took him to am organisation near me called the international tortoise sanctuary and they were so appalled by him being on any bedding other than hemp (because apparently it is the only bedding that can break down in a tortoises intestines instead if puncturing them if ingested) that they removed the bedding in his carry case and replaced it, stating even another hour with the bedding he has been happy on for years was an issue...I would welcome a conversation; I have to say I find the hemp dusty and harder to maintain humidity on.

LJL1982

UK
Actually I think in those pictures might have had some aspen in his basking area as we were struggling to obtain anything and he like to sleep on aspen (he doesnt eat substrate as far as ive seen so i figured it wasnt too much of an issue for a few days)...would welcome discussion on hemp (which he is now on) and coir/ aspen (which he used to be on) and barks/ coir.

LJL1982

UK
I also added a picture of his face

Attachments

• 20211018_181321.jpg
    20211018_181321.jpg
    884.4 KB · Views: 13

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Hi nice looking tort and thanks for sharing all pics :). I have a Russian tort called Speedy and use Orchid Bark, I buy this...
https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/sw...n--Premium_s_Orchid Bark Coarse 10L&142=10400

Use a plant water mister to keep damp for humidity, his shell is smooth which shows good care as pyramid is to be avoided so well done. I would not worry about hibernation or brumation if it happens it happens if not keep him warm and fed over the winter which us what I do.

Have a read of this, written by a breeder on this forum.... it may help to check your set up etc....

LJL1982

UK
Fab, thanks for the link to the bark that's really helpful!

I'll have a look at the guide too! I like Russians a lot they are really quiet little things, I think they are really sweet!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
He's looking good!

Turkish Ibera end up on the larger end of the range according to Chris' website. Males can get into the 1600 g range. He could grow another 2" possibly.

I would not worry too much about Jackson or other ratios. These only provide a rough measure of tortoise density. If he's eating well, you have nothing to worry about.

LJL1982

UK
He's looking good!

Turkish Ibera end up on the larger end of the range according to Chris' website. Males can get into the 1600 g range. He could grow another 2" possibly.

I would not worry too much about Jackson or other ratios. These only provide a rough measure of tortoise density. If he's eating well, you have nothing to worry about.
Thank you, that means a lot! He's pretty good at eating he loves his food! He's super active too. Does he appear to be an Ibera to you then? I am told both his parents were Northern Turkish...he's always been dark.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
Thank you, that means a lot! He's pretty good at eating he loves his food! He's super active too. Does he appear to be an Ibera to you then? I am told both his parents were Northern Turkish...he's always been dark.

Yes, definitely an Ibera

LJL1982

UK
Also...just realised that weight/ length would leave his Jackson ratio as underweight...but he eats well and feels as if he's "full of water"...I'll take the weighing scales home from work tonight and give him an actual weight but it gives you the idea of his size.
OK got his weight totally wrong he's 870grms so he's not bad on the Jackson scale