New to forum. Need advice!

tsawyer

Location (City and/or State)
New York
Greeting from Long Island, New York. So this week I have inherited from girlfriends parents an approx 20 year old Russia tortoise. They are moving and can’t take him with them. After finding the forum I realize they haven’t been keeping him in optimal conditions. He was on a very sparse level of rabbit pellets and they also thought he got all his water from his food so for at least the last ten years he hasn’t had a water dish. They tell me he only likes romaine and never ate any of the other foods he was givin. I’m aware the terrarium he has been in his whole life is far too small and am I. The process of making a far larger one. Other then that I’m looking for advice on how I can get him to try new foods and make sure that he is healthy. Thanks everyone!- TylerBC5B3323-ACDE-4A0F-8250-4298037C5122.jpegAED2D0BB-7F37-4B86-AE7A-C03AF1DCF81E.jpeg64137449-2F8C-4542-8A2D-C15D6C3AC031.jpeg710AFD2F-FAE8-48B5-A7C4-593FFFA5E2A6.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

He doesn't look too bad for how he's been cared for in the past. Lucky him to have come to live with someone who cares!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome Tyler, thanks for rescuing your new friend. I am not to familiar with Russians but I am sure you will get some responses. I know they need at least a 4'× 8' enclosure.
Find the Russian species here and read the care sheets. For the food sometimes you have to mix a little of a different food in with the romaine and increase little by little. Also sometimes it takes you being more stubborn than your tort and let it sit there until he eats.
Anyways if you are persistent you can achieve him eating different foods.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Hello and welcome! So glad this guy will be getting better care. I have 2 rescued Russians and they are wonderful!

So first I would soak that poor dehydrated tortoise every day for a week or two. You can eventually cut down to 2-3 times a week but you can get him on the fast track with lots of nice warm soaks. Keep the water warm (80-90 degrees) and not too deep, just where the top and bottom shell come together. 20-30 minutes.

Here are some good threads to read on proper care:

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Have fun with your new friend!

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
One of my rescued torts would only eat lettuce and I read 2 great methods for introducing new food here on TFO.
One method is what Ray-Opo suggested. Chopping and mixing new foods and like he said it is very effective if you are persistent. Another thing I tried is making a "burrito" with the lettuce on the outside and more nutritious greens on the inside and I would hand feed him this burrito. I kept trying both and it took a month or two but now he is an eating machine and will eat anything and everything.

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
welcome to the forum. I am sure he is happy that he will have a new home with the appropriate care. Best of luck with him!