new to forum/shelless eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumofdaisy

5 Year Member
Hi,
I have had Daisy my Herman's tortoise 13 years but only just realised this forum existed!:cool: She's 21.
Was just thinking about hibernating her but she's passed a few what I think are shell-less eggs, about 5 over the last 2-3weeks.She's otherwise healthy.
Having been advised last year by a vet to mate her she met up with a male in April and the deed done.No eggs were laid in the garden and we've recently brought her indoors to prepare for hibernating.
Any ideas?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
:D Welcome! :D If they were shell less eggs, I would be concerned about hibernating her this year. Is she getting plenty of calcium in her diet? Why did the Vet think you should breed her??? Glad that you have found us. Also, so nice to hear how long you have had your tortoise! :tort:

mumofdaisy

5 Year Member
Jacqui said:
:D Welcome! :D If they were shell less eggs, I would be concerned about hibernating her this year. Is she getting plenty of calcium in her diet? Why did the Vet think you should breed her??? Glad that you have found us. Also, so nice to hear how long you have had your tortoise! :tort:
She was getting plenty of calcium, but was worried of over doing it so stopped giving her extra as she eats plenty of weed from the garden.
The vet suggested it a) because of her age
b) because she laid some unfertilized ones a couple of summers ago.
We also fancied babies - my son has built a fantastic incubator in case she laid.
When I asked the vets they suggested I take her in for an x-ray which will obviously cost a fortune.
Maybe that's my best option.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi mumofdaisy:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Sometimes a new mother will pop out an egg with no shell, but usually this occurs when the female needs a bit more calcium in her diet.

mumofdaisy

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm Jennie and from Sussex UK.
Daisy is probably the most unusual wedding anniversary present anyone's ever had - and the best.
Don't think it's lack of calcium because she's had far more than when she laid unfertilised eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.