New to forum Sulcata owner in Massachusetts

Pia B

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hi everyone have owned my Sulcata for over 17 years got him as a hatchling . Found Toms night box awesome idea . I want to build the box for sure in hopes Speedbump will be able to stay outside longer . I been bringing him in at night now that the night temps are dropping . Soon I won't be able to lift him so I am looking for ideas night box with a shed like enclosure for winter . Perhaps some of you have got such a set up .I am sure I am not the only owner of a sulcata thatlives in cold winter climate . Picture of him visiting kids in the nearby neighborhood yesterday :) He escaped a few days ago he is in breeding mode and ended up being found 1/10 of a mile away so we went to visit the kids who had also been searching for him. Any advice appreciated !

Pia and Speedbump

speedbumpkids.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!!

Just curious. . . how about you tell us a bit about Speedbump's care and diet? He seems pretty small for 17 years.

I don't know how to copy/paste on my Kindle, but ifyou 'search' for "Dudley's Rebuild" you can see the shed I built for my 110lb sulcata 20 - 25 years old)

Pia B

Massachusetts
He is an grasses and weeds during summer what ever grows in our yard hay in winter dandilion green red leaf lettuce tomatoes ( not that many ) very little fruit Mazuri tort diet I used to feed it more but then I read it was bad so he only gets it 2-3 times a week on top of his hay but not in summer he just eats grasses weeds occasionally a tomato or cucumber no lettuce in summer exception for yesterday on the visit . Yeah I know I think he small too this summer he actually grew some . I am thinking it is perhaps that I did not have any UV lighting on him because he lives in a pen in the house during winter . He pyramided on me a few years ago but so far no additional and also has 2 dents from us loosing electricity for 6 days . Noticed the dents after that ordeal :( I am open to suggestions on what he is missing and keeps him slow growing . I check out Dudleys Rebuild Thank you

Pia B

Massachusetts
Now I'm on my computer, so I can link that thread for you:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/dudleys-rebuild.111350/

Maybe you should start feeding a little more Mazuri. Moisten it and mix it up with his greens. Mazuri helps them grow.

I also read on this forum Mazuri makes a different formula better suited for Sulcata . I get him that thinking of mixing it until the old one is gone . I give him more Mazuri . Thank you ! Yes I did find the thread and another one on winter set ups :) Getting better ideas as I read through .

Pia B

Massachusetts
what about zoo Med grassland tortoise food I had fed that in the past too . good or not ? Thank you so much

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
All you mentioned, even the grassland is good. Tomatoes not good though. Maybe he needs a bigger variety in the summer months. I don't have sulcata, but leopards and in the summer I will still feed them even though they get outside all day to graze. I will give them mazuri and some days some greens. Not daily, around every other to every third day. Although I plant seeds for different things for them to graze on besides the grass, I feel it's not as big a variety they would get in their native land, so I add to each during the summer.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
My 18 year old sulcata is at least twice the size of yours. He has never had Mazuri. I'm sure Mazuri can probably help him grow but I don't think the lack of it has caused any problems. More likely the slow growth is the result of not enough heat. He needs it warmer than your house temps. I've heard of others that don't provide UV during the winter. If you build him an outside heated shed, he'll be able to get UV year round.

Pia B

Massachusetts
My 18 year old sulcata is at least twice the size of yours. He has never had Mazuri. I'm sure Mazuri can probably help him grow but I don't think the lack of it has caused any problems. More likely the slow growth is the result of not enough heat. He needs it warmer than your house temps. I've heard of others that don't provide UV during the winter. If you build him an outside heated shed, he'll be able to get UV year round.
He does have a heat mat he sleeps on . Been reading a bit in the forum . I took a cardboard box placed it over the heat mat so it keeps him even warmer . I also ordered a light the solar glo all in one . I had not giving him any heat source in summer he dug a den . I used to keep him at around 80 -90 when he was small also daily soaks . I was in a sulcata forum for a few years back when I first got him but the forum was was discontinued . So yes , you are right I kept him not warm enough . Was told about 10 years ago the heat mat and being in the house is enough . Glad I came back to a forum . This is a pic from 3 days ago . Trying the newspaper route for quick cleanup when he goes . Cardboard under that thick layer of Cardboard is really awesome shield from cold floors . He is very active loves his warm showers and his time running around the house , he is a character :) Thank you for your input .

Attachments

• 22045998_10215081120728248_8822749995675958399_n.jpg
    22045998_10215081120728248_8822749995675958399_n.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 8