New to forum, thanks for having us!

RabbitSide

Location (City and/or State)
Niland, CA
We live in an off-grid squatter community here in the California desert called Slab City. We rescue chickens and ducks and any other animals that can use a hand out here and this includes tortoises! I'm happy to be able to add this forum as a tool for advice and care information, but also to be able to hopefully re-home some of the rescues we have with good, responsible care takers.

Thanks again!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Welcome to the forum!

My late husband and I were snowbirds at the Slabs for 4 years ending winter of 2008-2009. Sometimes I really miss it, but I can visit any time.

I live right across the sea from you, unfortunately in a stick 'n stone. ;)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Hello and welcome, pics of your crew would be great!

RabbitSide

Niland, CA
Welcome to the forum!

My late husband and I were snowbirds at the Slabs for 4 years ending winter of 2008-2009. Sometimes I really miss it, but I can visit any time.

I live right across the sea from you, unfortunately in a stick 'n stone. ;)
Wow that’s awesome! How great to be able to talk with people from the area.

RabbitSide

Niland, CA
Hello and welcome, pics of your crew would be great!

Here’s our three grown ups. We also have some babies here.

The big male Sulcata is 18 and we just took him in. We’re actually hoping to just foster him until we can find a permanent home.

The other two are Desert Tortoises that are about 20 and 30 years old.
E47D7D3D-A342-415C-9F3E-C0AA853665FD.jpeg3FD06003-23F4-4B96-AD30-C07A9D6B80F8.jpeg5C196602-AA89-4E84-942F-C43E21333786.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We live in an off-grid squatter community here in the California desert called Slab City. We rescue chickens and ducks and any other animals that can use a hand out here and this includes tortoises! I'm happy to be able to add this forum as a tool for advice and care information, but also to be able to hopefully re-home some of the rescues we have with good, responsible care takers.

Thanks again!
Hi, and welcome!

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oh my! How did you transport them to the Slabs? They are beautiful!

Nevermind...maybe I don't want to know. ?

Keep them really close...the coyotes there are pretty bold, along with some of the permanent residents.

How long have you been at the Slabs? Is this your first time there? Just curious...

RabbitSide

Niland, CA
We had been coming out here for the winters for a few years before settling in. We’ve now done 3 consecutive summers which is the standard unit of measurement.

We didn’t show up with the torts though. We took in a male duck who was being beat up by another male duck, then some chickens, then more ducks... we quickly became the people that would help “weird” animals, and not just cats and dogs.

A friend’s parents had the pair of desert tortoises and wanted to rehome them, so we took them in. We were given them as a “mated pair” and did a bit of research and then learned that wasn’t a good idea, but the deed was done. She popped out 5 babies a bit over a year ago and then a couple months ago, 7 more babies.... they’ve been separated the whole time but as I’m sure you all are aware, they can hold on to the sperm for some time and keep producing clutches.

Then, our neighbor had a 2 year old Sulcata he didn’t want anymore, so us being the tort people in town, we took it in.
THEN we caught wind of the large 18 year old Sulcata wandering Slab City and following people around. We tracked down the people that captured it and ultimately got it to our place safe and sound. We have found out who owned it and where it came from, and it turns out somebody in Slab City was given the tort by its previous owners, but didn’t have the means to contain it.

The big fella is a challenge to say the least. He is so incredibly strong and likes to smash up our stuff. We have a nice space for him now but we hope to find him a forever home and get him out of the slabs. Same with the 8 desert tort babies we have left.

This place can be dangerous for sure, but we really take a lot of precautions and have ourselves set up pretty nice. If you search for RabbitSide on YouTube you’ll find out videos and videos other people have made featuring us.

Wear a mask and you could even pop on over to see us in person!

Oh my! How did you transport them to the Slabs? They are beautiful!

Nevermind...maybe I don't want to know. ?

Keep them really close...the coyotes there are pretty bold, along with some of the permanent residents.

How long have you been at the Slabs? Is this your first time there? Just curious...

summers

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ok....what are these SLABS you two continue to speak of? Sounds like a spooky scary place with wile e coyote as sheriff.

RabbitSide

Niland, CA
Ok....what are these SLABS you two continue to speak of? Sounds like a spooky scary place with wile e coyote as sheriff.

You pretty much nailed it!

It’s a squatters/homeless camp on a decommissioned military base in the Southern California desert that has been occupied by hippies, hobos, junkies, mentally ill and criminals since the early 60s.

There’s a lot of history and nuances to the place and you’d be best served doing a deep dive on google and YouTube to get a better picture. Just note that some aspects are heavily focused on in YouTube videos, like the idea that it’s lawless here, and that’s not exactly the truth.

On YouTube you’ll also find videos of our camp “RabbitSide”

:)

RabbitSide

Niland, CA
Yes, I'm going to do that. I don't know when. I'll PM you and schedule.

Excellent! Well, maybe email or find our Facebook page to message so I see it sooner. I don’t always check stuff online and may forget to check messages here.

rabbitsidecamp at gmail is our email address.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club

Mark, you don't know how correct you are, and at the same time, how wrong you are.

The easiest way to learn about it is to google Slab City. Countless documentaries have been made about the place, some fairly accurate, and some downright insulting to the people who live there.

Yes, there are some radical free spirits that border on anarchy, but there are also artists, musicians...every cross section of humanity is represented in 1 sq mi.
The small population of summer residents is amazing. This place routinely hits 123°. There are no utilities...no water, no power, other than solar panels or generators. It is also a no-cost haven for RV'ing snowbirds, who fill the place after Christmas, and stay til April.

They do, however, have a running shower, a library, a church (which is how I became involved), an open air stage and dance area, where you can go on Fri and Sat night for some entertainment.

There is an area where an RV club gathers together for safety and help. Their members are single, so don't want to be off alone.

Please google it. Just remember that most producers want to maximize the odd and unusual. A few have managed to capture the heart of the place.

In all fairness, I have not spent a winter there since 2008-2009, so there could be major changes since then. I have visited a few times, and residents have built dwellings out of scrap wood or anything else they can find. These "houses" are new since I spent time there.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
You pretty much nailed it!

It’s a squatters/homeless camp on a decommissioned military base in the Southern California desert that has been occupied by hippies, hobos, junkies, mentally ill and criminals since the early 60s.

There’s a lot of history and nuances to the place and you’d be best served doing a deep dive on google and YouTube to get a better picture. Just note that some aspects are heavily focused on in YouTube videos, like the idea that it’s lawless here, and that’s not exactly the truth.

On YouTube you’ll also find videos of our camp “RabbitSide”

Gosh! I was a lot nicer in my description than you are! ? What is so fascinating is that both accounts are correct!
How many places can say that?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl