New to forum

Melymann

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello,
I’ve been researching tortoise care in preparation for a new family member. I’ve read lots of posts but just decided to join. I’m frustrated with availability in my area (Michigan) and don’t want to purchase from a pet store. Online ordering seems risky also......

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi, and welcome to TFO!

Have you decided what kind of tortoise you want? Your climate will be a consideration in that decision. Also how much space you have for housing, indoors and out. Hatchling or adult?

You are correct in not buying from a pet store! They will sell you a bunch of expensive stuff that you don't need, and give you terrible advice on caretaking.

We have wonderful breeders on the forum. They ship tortoises all the time with no problems. If you're looking for an adult, check Craigslist near you. Or maybe one of our breeders will sell an adult.

Whatever you decide, we'll help you every step of the way. Once you know what species and age, we'll help you with what you need to do.

Melymann

Michigan
I’ve decided on a Russian. I’d like a male because they are smaller, but I want a young one so it can be a captive bred. I know these two ideas don’t go together. My husband built a table for me, it’s about 4x2. I live in Michigan, it’s

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I’ve decided on a Russian. I’d like a male because they are smaller, but I want a young one so it can be a captive bred. I know these two ideas don’t go together. My husband built a table for me, it’s about 4x2. I live in Michigan, it’s
Welcome great to do your research before hand. 4'×2' would work for a short time. But a Russian needs 4'×8' to grow and thrive.
Read the care sheets for Russians here on TFO. The info is up to date.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome! Russians are a lot of fun.

Thank you for checking on what your tortoise needs before you purchase; many of us learned it the hard way.

Ray—Opo is right, you need a larger enclosure. Hopefully you can reuse most of what you’ve already used in the first build. It’s better to just start with the size you will eventually need.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! ! !

Melymann

Michigan
Well it’s a hatchling so I’m going a little smaller to ensure I can keep the heat and humidity appropriate. I’m sure we will expand as needed. I’ve made a final decision on an eastern Hermanns.