New to forums and torts

Hneumann

Location (City and/or State)
Waterloo
Hello I’m to to forum and the tort game so I’m really hoping I put this in the right spot. I saved this guy/girl from petsmart and it just said “assorted Testudo tortoise” I took him to reptile store and the lady (who looked 12) just said it was a Testudo then. I’ve been doing my own research and have fallen short and am hoping you folks can help sex, and identify it so I can give it proper care!

image.jpgimage.jpg

TaylorTortoise

Abington
This is a Russian tortoise. IT looks like a male with that tail. It curves in to the side tucked which is usually what the males have. (Plus it's long)
Can we see pictures of your environment/enclosure? I as well saved my Russian tortoise from a petsmart as well. My guy caught my eye and I couldnt help but resist and save him and get him out of the condition he was in. My tortoise gets fresh variety greens, not pellet food like most pet stores if you haven't noticed. I also purchase additional items from @Kapidolo Farms and sprinkle/wet on lettuce as part of a variety diet.

TheTattooedTortoise

North Wales, UK
Hi and welcome, that looks to be a Russian tortoise - AKA Horsfield tortoise.

Check out the Russian tort care sheet on the forum. All the information you need is in there so have a good read and come back with any questions

TaylorTortoise

Abington
There is no way to tell what his age range is, but he looks to be around the ages of 5-10.

Hneumann

Waterloo
This is a Russian tortoise. IT looks like a male with that tail. It curves in to the side tucked which is usually what the males have. (Plus it's long)
Can we see pictures of your environment/enclosure? I as well saved my Russian tortoise from a petsmart as well. My guy caught my eye and I couldnt help but resist and save him and get him out of the condition he was in. My tortoise gets fresh variety greens, not pellet food like most pet stores if you haven't noticed. I also purchase additional items from @Kapidolo Farms and sprinkle/wet on lettuce as part of a variety diet.
He is currently in a 4x2 bin that I had around the house. It’s temporary till I had him identified till I can learn how to properly care for him.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 29

TaylorTortoise

Abington
He is currently in a 4x2 bin that I had around the house. It’s temporary till I had him identified till I can learn how to properly care for him.
He can definitely escape from there. They are escapees. Nice set up though. You need two lights one for UVB/basking UVB- 10.0 uvb tube or light.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Did you give him a name yet? Welcome to the forum

Hneumann

Waterloo
Did you give him a name yet? Welcome to the forum
Yeah ? his name is Hank. I think it’s the best name for his personality “that I’ve seen so far” he like to sit back and watch everything like an old man in his chair watching tv. He isn’t always like that though . He loves exploring the yard outside and basking in some real rays. He is very curious and the name can fool you!

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Hello I’m to to forum and the tort game so I’m really hoping I put this in the right spot. I saved this guy/girl from petsmart and it just said “assorted Testudo tortoise” I took him to reptile store and the lady (who looked 12) just said it was a Testudo then. I’ve been doing my own research and have fallen short and am hoping you folks can help sex, and identify it so I can give it proper care!
Welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place for care information. Your tortoise is likely full grown already. Although they’re small, they require a lot of space. You’ll want an enclosure that’s at least 4ft x 8ft. The larger the better. Here’s a link to a thread where you’ll find the most reliable and up to date care information for your new tortoise.

Hneumann

Waterloo
Update I added onto his tub and he loves the new hiding area!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 15

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Looked into what you said, trying to understand it and found a mercury bulb that gives off uv heat and light
Great!
I hope it works out for you. So you need a basking light, and a uvb 10.00 bulb or t8 tube. t8 stands for the type of tube.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I would also recommend making a fence to fence in his entire enclosure so he does not try and escape. You can go to Home depot, Lowes and get chicken wire, vegetable garden wire to line the enclosure so he does not escape.