New to having a sulcata tort! Need some help

Oldmelloyello

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hey everyone! So today I bought my very first baby sulcrata tort, this is the first time I’ve ever owned a tortoise/turtle so go easy on me. question number one, so I have the tort in my room, and the ceiling fan is in the middle of the room while the tort is on the side by the window, is it alright to turn on the ceiling fan? Or would it cool down the enclosure that the tortoise is in(it’s in a glass, 10 gallon enclosure). And Yes I do have the 2 lamps, the 10.0 UVB and the trilla night black heat light, so would it cool down the turtle too much? And then question number 2, I am supposed to turn off the UVB lamp every 12 hours right? So like right before I go to bed I turn it off and then when I wake up at like 10-11 or so, I turn it back on? Thank you guys for the help! It’ll mean a lot to me since this is my first ever tortoise, here’s a picture of him! (Edit) also one last question, is it ok for me to leave the tortoise in the room after I first got him? It makes me nervous to leave him so I’ve just been sitting here for a while watching him

Attachments

• EAF6CE82-5420-4050-A1D6-C4AA618C050F.jpeg
    EAF6CE82-5420-4050-A1D6-C4AA618C050F.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

daniellenc

Maryland
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Start here and keep reading lots of great info. A 10 gallon is not big enough and has an open top that is letting all the heat and humidity out which is a problem. Get a 4x4 cement mixing tub from Home Depot and a 4x4 greenhouse cover from amazon to use as a closed chamber enclosure and welcome!

Oldmelloyello

Utah
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Start here and keep reading lots of great info. A 10 gallon is not big enough and has an open top that is letting all the heat and humidity out which is a problem. Get a 4x4 cement mixing tub from Home Depot and a 4x4 greenhouse cover from amazon to use as a closed chamber enclosure and welcome!

Well the guy I bought it from owns the pet store and he knew what he was talking about I think, cause I don’t think he’d just give me these items if they didn’t work to take care of him, the Lid of the enclosure is metal and it seems like(by the thermometer) that it’s about 90 degrees in there, so I don’t think that my the problem

Melis

Maryland
Welcome! Unfortunately a lot of people still use outdated info in the care of these guys, and even worse, some are just out to make a sale. Just for starters, a 10 gallon tank would never work for this species, and that substrate Should not be used. Read through our care sheets and then come back with any questions :)

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Thanks not sure how to do that

Not to sound like a broken record, but a 10 gallon tank is horrible for a tortoise. Think of it this way, 10 gallons of water. This is ok for a small aquatic turtle. This tortoise will only be crawling around the bottom of the tank. The wife mesh lid is a problem as well. Ok for many reptiles, but a tortoise (especially a baby tortoise) needs high humidity. Pet store employees will sell you the minimum you need to keep a new pet alive. But in a 10 gallon aquarium this amazing little tortoise will not thrive. The solutions offered early in the thread are quite affordable. At least get the tub for now. Until you can fix a lid to hold humidity, make sure you soak your baby once a day for about 15 minutes in shallow room temperature water. Don’t drown him. This community has tons of great info. Some of us may come on strong, but mostly because there is a lot of bad info out there. Mostly from places like Petco. Feel free to ask any questions you have...

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Not to sound like a broken record, but a 10 gallon tank is horrible for a tortoise. Think of it this way, 10 gallons of water. This is ok for a small aquatic turtle. This tortoise will only be crawling around the bottom of the tank. The wife mesh lid is a problem as well. Ok for many reptiles, but a tortoise (especially a baby tortoise) needs high humidity. Pet store employees will sell you the minimum you need to keep a new pet alive. But in a 10 gallon aquarium this amazing little tortoise will not thrive. The solutions offered early in the thread are quite affordable. At least get the tub for now. Until you can fix a lid to hold humidity, make sure you soak your baby once a day for about 15 minutes in shallow room temperature water. Don’t drown him. This community has tons of great info. Some of us may come on strong, but mostly because there is a lot of bad info out there. Mostly from places like Petco. Feel free to ask any questions you have...

Sorry i just saw i responded to the wrong post

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Welcome to the forum!
Your care and enclosure definitely need some help, and it seems the petstore employee is only giving out very outdated and terribly incorrect info.
First, read these very thoroughly-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php...ealthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
-get rid of the substrate ASAP. You need a deep, damp substrate that holds humidity. Fine grade orchid bark is the best for this, but you can also use peat moss, coco coir, or cypress mulch.
-you need a bigger enclosure. It is impossible to achieve a proper heat gradient in one so small. I would use no smaller than a 40 gallon tank, which should only last a few months), and while he’s in there, start building an 8x4 foot closed chamber, which will last a few years until he’s 8-11 inches and can live outside full time.
-get rid of the black heat light. Your tortoise can see those at night, and they need total darkness. Replace it with a ceramic heat emitter.
-be sure that it’s at least 80 degrees in the coolest part of the enclosure at all times, with a 95-100 degree basking spot during the day.
-make sure that you have a closed chamber with at least 80% humidity at all times.
It’s great that you found us! Please sure to make these changes ASAP :)

Eduardo Hernandez

Orange County, California
Well the guy I bought it from owns the pet store and he knew what he was talking about I think, cause I don’t think he’d just give me these items if they didn’t work to take care of him, the Lid of the enclosure is metal and it seems like(by the thermometer) that it’s about 90 degrees in there, so I don’t think that my the problem

Of course the pet store would sell you those items, they only care about making money and not the wellbeing of your tortoise. Please listen to everyone else in this thread. We aren't trying to sell you things, or even make money off of this. We just want your tort to be healthy and thrive.

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Of course the pet store would sell you those items, they only care about making money and not the wellbeing of your tortoise. Please listen to everyone else in this thread. We aren't trying to sell you things, or even make money off of this. We just want your tort to be healthy and thrive.

First things first. Give him a good soak. I may have trouble sleeping tonight after everything i have read.

Oldmelloyello

Utah
Welcome to the forum!
Your care and enclosure definitely need some help, and it seems the petstore employee is only giving out very outdated and terribly incorrect info.
First, read these very thoroughly-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/
For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/
Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
-get rid of the substrate ASAP. You need a deep, damp substrate that holds humidity. Fine grade orchid bark is the best for this, but you can also use peat moss, coco coir, or cypress mulch.
-you need a bigger enclosure. It is impossible to achieve a proper heat gradient in one so small. I would use no smaller than a 40 gallon tank, which should only last a few months), and while he’s in there, start building an 8x4 foot closed chamber, which will last a few years until he’s 8-11 inches and can live outside full time.
-get rid of the black heat light. Your tortoise can see those at night, and they need total darkness. Replace it with a ceramic heat emitter.
-be sure that it’s at least 80 degrees in the coolest part of the enclosure at all times, with a 95-100 degree basking spot during the day.
-make sure that you have a closed chamber with at least 80% humidity at all times.
It’s great that you found us! Please sure to make these changes ASAP :)

How much will all this stuff cost? Cause I spent like $300 on all these items and it’ll make me mad if I can’t use them hahah, but what would I use for a lid? Could I buy something from like tractor supply co.? And does the dual light fixture (one side the uvb and the other the ceramic heat emitter) work fine still? How would I keep the enclosure hot with a 40 gallon tub?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
There are a lot of affordable options for tortoise enclosure and supplies needed, but unfortunately most of the best solutions aren't sold at the pet store. I understand the feeling like you wasted money, but just think about the health and well-being of your new little tortoise and that's what's really important here [emoji846]

Can you post some pics of the items you purchased? Some might be able to be used and some could possibly be returned for a refund.

As mentioned above, we just want your new tortoise to have the best setup possible - we're interested in helping you achieve that, not sell you anything in particular

daniellenc

Maryland
Definitely post pictures of your setup and don’t feel bad. I did a ton of research and still had to return items I bought in good faith a $70 MVB bulb comes to mind hehe. Pet shops sell pet stuff. It’s not in their best interest to tell you to buy stuff they don’t carry. And heads up but it will cost you thousands of dollars to provide indoor and outdoor enclosures for a sulcata so $300 is a drop in the bucket. I am ordering an AP cage for my redfoot which will easily cost $1,000-$1,200 with shipping, lighting, and other extras. His outdoor enclosure I am working now is only going to be a few hundred but the cement block alone was $150 and it’s only a 10x4 area.

Oldmelloyello

Utah
There are a lot of affordable options for tortoise enclosure and supplies needed, but unfortunately most of the best solutions aren't sold at the pet store. I understand the feeling like you wasted money, but just think about the health and well-being of your new little tortoise and that's what's really important here [emoji846]

Can you post some pics of the items you purchased? Some might be able to be used and some could possibly be returned for a refund.

As mentioned above, we just want your new tortoise to have the best setup possible - we're interested in helping you achieve that, not sell you anything in particular
Definitely post pictures of your setup and don’t feel bad. I did a ton of research and still had to return items I bought in good faith a $70 MVB bulb comes to mind hehe. Pet shops sell pet stuff. It’s not in their best interest to tell you to buy stuff they don’t carry. And heads up but it will cost you thousands of dollars to provide indoor and outdoor enclosures for a sulcata so $300 is a drop in the bucket. I am ordering an AP cage for my redfoot which will easily cost $1,000-$1,200 with shipping, lighting, and other extras. His outdoor enclosure I am working now is only going to be a few hundred but the cement block alone was $150 and it’s only a 10x4 area.

Here it is, I took a picture of the thermometer to just show y’all what it reads and stuff, sadly I work every day so would it be possible that I get my new items this coming Saturday since I’ll be more available? And plus I’ll have my new paycheck by then, Or would that be too long? Also is it uncommon for the baby turtle to sleep a lot in it’s hiding place? Cause it seems like he’s in there a lot

Attachments

• 63E50082-B805-4670-B465-18D666370197.jpeg
    63E50082-B805-4670-B465-18D666370197.jpeg
    223.8 KB · Views: 34
  • BDC0A452-F359-4F8E-B233-AED7CD85F96A.jpeg
    BDC0A452-F359-4F8E-B233-AED7CD85F96A.jpeg
    243.2 KB · Views: 32

daniellenc

Maryland
Wouldn’t be too long just research here to save time and money. You can get plant saucers at homedepot for a few dollars and fine grade orchard bark cheap as well. Saucers for food and water bowls because yours are a flipping/drowning risk and bark for safe substrate. Home Depot sells 4x4 tubs and amazon the greenhouse cover. Both will cost under $50. Basically you can return the tank, substrate and bowls and spend $200 less than you did for a better habitat so it’s a win win.

Oldmelloyello

Utah
Wouldn’t be too long just research here to save time and money. You can get plant saucers at homedepot for a few dollars and fine grade orchard bark cheap as well. Saucers for food and water bowls because yours are a flipping/drowning risk and bark for safe substrate. Home Depot sells 4x4 tubs and amazon the greenhouse cover. Both will cost under $50. Basically you can return the tank, substrate and bowls and spend $200 less than you did for a better habitat so it’s a win win.

Would places like ace hardware store or tractor supply co be adequate places to get these items? There is a Home Depot, but it’s about 30 mins away so I was just wondering if they both did since I live closer to them, and sorry to ask this again but would it be ok for my turtle to live in this place for another week until next Saturday? Or should I do it asap

daniellenc

Maryland
Both those places should have similar stuff but you can also just order them online. @Jay Bagley was it you who used these? If so can you post the info? Or was it @vladimir? Either way next Saturday is fine you can always use tinfoil to seal the screen for now and wrap the lamps at the bottom as well to keep in heat and humidity.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Both those places should have similar stuff but you can also just order them online. @Jay Bagley was it you who used these? If so can you post the info? Or was it @vladimir? Either way next Saturday is fine you can always use tinfoil to seal the screen for now and wrap the lamps at the bottom as well to keep in heat and humidity.
Those survival blankets work well too apparently for keeping humidity in.

Check this post out https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?posts/1598464