New to Hermann hatchings and tortoise raising

Absolutely Blessed

Location (City and/or State)
Leaf River, IL
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased 2 Hermann tortoise hatchlings from Tortoise Supply back in August I named them Pickles and Nugget Pickles was a little bit larger than Nugget. I mostly feed them fresh leaves that I grow with hydroponics. Turnip, collards, spring mix, endive, dandelion, oak leaf etc .Plus I soak some Mazuri pellets for them Every morning they have a 30 min. soak in lukewarm water My substrate is coco coir and I had some pure natural premium forest moss mixed in. Also in their hide box. Once a week I weigh and measure my torts. Nugget is by far the larger of the 2 now.. I've notice Nugget poops during spa time but Pickles doesn't. I think Nugget has eaten the moss. Doesn't seem to want to eat much of anything now. I read on the forum that moss is not good for tortoises so I cleaned out the habitat and am just using coco coir and some of the chips. Nugget still doesn't have much of an appetite. They are indoor kept I use a UV heat lamp during the day. Temp is about 85 degrees. Night I use a heat emitter. Might drop down into mid 70's. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help Pickles? He{?} is somewhat active Likes to climb. I have notice sometimes he flips over and just seems to lay there on his back like he's basking. I usually flip him over when I see that Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Lori

Alex and the Redfoot

Platinum Tortoise Club
Cyprus
Hello and welcome!
Perhaps, the first step is to keep them in separate enclosures (sorry, from your post is not completely clear if you keep them together or not). Living in pair is stressful for both tortoises and one is being bullied by another (likely it's Pickles as he is smaller). Also, when keeping them separate you better control who eats, poops and so on.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome!🐢💚

First up the bad news, Tortoise of any species should NEVER be housed in pairs under any circumstances, they’re incredibly territorial, behaviours that look cute to us really aren’t, following one another and sleeping huddled up is all bullying the the tortoise world, you’ll eventually see more extreme signs of aggression. Anyone who tells you pairs are fine, have no idea what they’re talking about.

Small groups are ok when there’s lots of land and the correct male to female ratio.

The one being smaller is a tell tail sign of stress, it’s actually stunting them.

They’ll need separating into appropriately lit and heated enclosures.

The good news is you’ve made your way here and can give them the best chance possible! You were right to remove the moss, it can indeed cause impaction.

I don’t suppose you could try answering these questions?
What are your temperatures like? Ie basking spot(directly under the bulb) overall day and night temps?
What kind of lighting&heating are you using specifically? Packaging pics are good if you have any!
What kind of indoor uv bulb are you using?
How’s your humidity reading?

A photo of the full set up would be great!

I think you’ll find this thread I’ve made helpful, I cover correct equipment, levels, appropriately maintaining humidity, there’s lots of visual examples for everything and a good diet link🙂

This thread is also really good to familiarise yourself with, it will help you avoid the wrong bulbs, materials etc

Give them a read and please come back with any more questions you may have!🥰

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to the forum! Yes, the first order of business is to separate them each into its own enclosure. They don't like each other and one will dominate the other and they will both suffer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Everyone, I recently purchased 2 Hermann tortoise hatchlings from Tortoise Supply back in August I named them Pickles and Nugget Pickles was a little bit larger than Nugget. I mostly feed them fresh leaves that I grow with hydroponics. Turnip, collards, spring mix, endive, dandelion, oak leaf etc .Plus I soak some Mazuri pellets for them Every morning they have a 30 min. soak in lukewarm water My substrate is coco coir and I had some pure natural premium forest moss mixed in. Also in their hide box. Once a week I weigh and measure my torts. Nugget is by far the larger of the 2 now.. I've notice Nugget poops during spa time but Pickles doesn't. I think Nugget has eaten the moss. Doesn't seem to want to eat much of anything now. I read on the forum that moss is not good for tortoises so I cleaned out the habitat and am just using coco coir and some of the chips. Nugget still doesn't have much of an appetite. They are indoor kept I use a UV heat lamp during the day. Temp is about 85 degrees. Night I use a heat emitter. Might drop down into mid 70's. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can help Pickles? He{?} is somewhat active Likes to climb. I have notice sometimes he flips over and just seems to lay there on his back like he's basking. I usually flip him over when I see that Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Lori
Start with these two threads. This will clear up a lot for you: