New, to me, MEP, Marvin

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20220928_202337581~2.jpg

Welcome to Marvin!

Marvin arrived to join our creep today with the long-term goal of working with Aretha to help preserve this amazing species (Manouria emys phayrei, aka the Black Mountain Tortoise).

He's pretty similar in size to Aretha, despite being a bit older than her (hatched 2014 vs 2019), and his carapace has a depression in one portion that's likely the result of imperfect care (although he's active and aware and seems very healthy, so I anticipate no issues with them breeding once he's out of quarantine).

I gave him a long soak after unboxing him, while I was finishing setting up his quarantine quarters. He got weighed and measured and scrubbed with a toothbrush while I gave him a once-over.

He dug right into the food I put down for him and is exploring his short-term prison, glad to have a bigger space than his FedEx box (although he'll have more room to wander once he's out of quarantine).

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Congratulations on your new tortoise! He is a handsome tortoise.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
PXL_20221002_165304312.jpg

Marvin enjoyed his breakfast of fresh papaya and pumpkin and mushrooms, along with a big pile of greens.

Jamie

Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
He looks to be in better shape than Aretha did when you got her. At least from what I can see.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
He looks to be in better shape than Aretha did when you got her. At least from what I can see.
Some of the scutes along his back are depressed, but they're not so bad... I think he'll be fine.

Jamie

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Great news. I don't know anything about a MEP, however I enjoy the updates and progress. Thank you