New to me, need suggestions

Lucas791

I have always kept aquatic turtles, this is my first tortoise..he is a hermanns and has 4-5 inchs of 50/50 top soil cypress mulch substrate mixture, I leave a shallow pond open to him at all times, just tall enough to come the bottom of his shell, he has a flower pot hide and some rocks for decoration along with some planted weeds, I feed him everyday, if it's not the weeds from my yard it is romaine lettuce, cucumber, and kale all mixed, he has a heat/UVA/UVB bulb to bask. ANY and ALL suggestions are welcomed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Lucas791, and welcome to the Forum!

Your habitat looks ok to me, and I really couldn't see the tortoise very well to tell how big he is, but my impression is that the habitat isn't big enough for the size of the tortoise. You could buy another tub exactly like the one you have and cut out opposing ends, putting the two together, or you could connect the two with a tube or PVC. Then you could put in some little potted plants all around. I think it would be better if you cut the hiding place in half lengthwise so it sits down lower and offers him a better hiding place.

Take a look at some of the pictures in our enclosure section. One of our moderators, Jacqui, is putting together a thread with pictures of members' enclosures. Its a work in progress, but here's a link to the indoor one:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-65798.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I agree with Yvonne. Looks like all the primary needs are met, but bigger would be better. More variety and less cuc and romaine would be better too. There are lots of other grocery store foods that you could tap into if needed, but your weeds are best anyway. Here is how I would house him:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-80698.html