New (to me) tortoise, Eunice

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Westmoreland, NH
Are you sure she is a SHE? ;) It's originally wild caught (you can tell by the shell), and I'd expect a female to be larger by now.

You can compare tail shapes here: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...sex-of-your-russian-tortoise-with-pics.87181/

Either way, gorgeous little tortoise.
Their tail is like neither the male I live with, nor exactly like the females... it's closer to the female configuration than the male.

The people I got her from said that they got "her" from a pet store as a hatchling a few years ago, but I have no way of knowing the story before they came to live with me.

Eunice didn't act at all like Chili, my male, does around the females when I put them in the stock tank yesterday. Chili bobs his head and nips at their feet and runs around them and mounts them continuously... Eunice munched a bit of food from the communal trough and then lay down next to the girls under the UV lamp and CHE.

If Eunice turns out to be a male, I'll have to rehome them because I don't have room in my home or creep for more than one male... this would make me sad.

Jamie

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
She's a beautiful little girl and I'm sticking to that story! She'll grow fast enough now that she's in a new place.

Also, I knew you want to breed them but ugh, boys are gross. Chili sounds very rude! :)