New to owning a Sulcata.

Kayc

Location (City and/or State)
Houston
I have a 17 week old Sulcata .
So much contradiction that my head is spinning.
I believe I am feeding correctly and have ordered from Carolina Pet Supply.
I was told bathing was not done in hatchlings, but begins with juveniles. Can someone please clarify.
I am housing in a 20 gal tank. With sand on the floor. I have a shelter at one end . And a UVB and
Heat lamp on the other end.
Food and shallow water dishes in the center.
I'm not providing humidity other than the water dish, which I sunk into the sand. But it gets spilled a lot.
Do I need to do baths at this age. I would love references to reading material that is accurate. Thanks.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Kay
Remove the sand you can use garden right from your yard if cost is a problem but don't use sand .( sorry I left out the word soil ) garden soil or yard soil . Yes the young need a bath every day !
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1474770941.585264.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Kay.

It looks like you've been reading old information. We do things differently now, since we learned that baby sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season. This means there's plenty of green plant life, and lots of wet soil.

Your baby needs daily soaks of about 15 minutes each time.

Sand gets stuck to the food and when eaten, may cause impaction. I like to use orchid bark, but quite a few folks on here use coco coir.

Please read these threads and make changes accordingly:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure would help in giving you advise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a 17 week old Sulcata .
So much contradiction that my head is spinning.
I believe I am feeding correctly and have ordered from Carolina Pet Supply.
I was told bathing was not done in hatchlings, but begins with juveniles. Can someone please clarify.
I am housing in a 20 gal tank. With sand on the floor. I have a shelter at one end . And a UVB and
Heat lamp on the other end.
Food and shallow water dishes in the center.
I'm not providing humidity other than the water dish, which I sunk into the sand. But it gets spilled a lot.
Do I need to do baths at this age. I would love references to reading material that is accurate. Thanks.

Whoa. Sounds like you got all the wrong info. I'm glad you found us. Your tortoise will thank you later with good health. :)

Read those threads Yvonne posted. All your answers are in there. Please come back with lots of questions. We're glad to help.

Kayc

Houston
Welcome to the Forum, Kay.

It looks like you've been reading old information. We do things differently now, since we learned that baby sulcatas hatch out during the monsoon season. This means there's plenty of green plant life, and lots of wet soil.

Your baby needs daily soaks of about 15 minutes each time.

Sand gets stuck to the food and when eaten, may cause impaction. I like to use orchid bark, but quite a few folks on here use coco coir.

Please read these threads and make changes accordingly:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

OK. I have changed out the sand. And now have Coconut Fiber Substrate.
I am working on making the hide more humid. (Tomorrow. But I will need to keep it simple, since I'm not a hi-tech person.)
My Sulcate Tortoise had its first soak today. He/She seemed to enjoy it. Thanks or all the info.
How does one give a supplement to a Tortoise ?? I place leaves from Baby Spring Mix and Turnip leaves in a dish.
The turnip leaves are usually not eaten, but I will keep trying since I heard they are good. I ordered dandelion seeds, and an
Organic herbal salad mix. Do I just sprinkle supplements on leaves?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Yes just a very small pinch of the calcium on the leaves

For the hide, You can get a cheap plastic dishwashing tub, flip it upside down and cut a door hole in the side.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, but just take a small pinch between your thumb and index finger and sprinkle it over the food. If he can see it or smell it, he won't eat. Picky little devils. Don't know what's good for 'em.

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Most of us understand how crazy and stressful all the contradicting information out there can be. Quit worrying about it though. You found the right place, and the great people here will help guide you to raising a healthy tortoise.

Welcome to the forum.

Kayc

Houston
Most of us understand how crazy and stressful all the contradicting information out there can be. Quit worrying about it though. You found the right place, and the great people here will help guide you to raising a healthy tortoise.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank You