new to redfoots...advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stena29

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Porterville ca
Hello....I'm getting my first redfoot tomorrow. I'm getting her from a lady that can't take care of her anymore. She says she is about 8 inches. I have three sulcatas. She will be housed seperatley from my sulcatas....any advice as to care for them? Any advice I would appricate.

stena29

5 Year Member
Porterville ca
I'm gonna keep her outside. The enclosure I have has lots of grass in it. My sulcatas graze on the grass....I also feed them cactus pads...squash...carrots and corn sometimes. Dandilions when I can find them.

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
The best advice I can ever give new Redfoot owners is to read two good primers on Redfoot husbandry.

The first (courtesy of Tyler Stewart at Tortoise Supply):
http://www.tortoisesupply.com/pages/Redfoot-Tortoise-Caresheet.html

and the second is tortoiselibrary.com, where you can find in depth information on most redfoot topics.

Be sure to pay close attention to the diet section, specifically. Redfoots have different food requirements and aren't grazers like Sulcatas.

Good luck, and be sure to post pictures as well as any lingering questions! :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
You want high humidity and lower temps than you'd provide a Sulcata (low to mid 80's are good). Housing outside is great, I'm glad to hear your RF will enjoy fresh air and sunshine! Be sure there's a good amount of shade in your outdoor setup and some nice humid hides.

Have fun and congratulations!

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Its so nice of you to take the little guy in. Is he named yet?

My advice - Post pictures! We love seeing pics of the new additions. :D:p

stena29

5 Year Member
Porterville ca
Thank you all for your advice...I.will be doing some reading while I wait to go pick her up. And I will take lots of pictures.

mctlong said:
Its so nice of you to take the little guy in. Is he named yet?

My advice - Post pictures! We love seeing pics of the new additions. :D:p

I haven't picked out a name yet. My other names of my torts are.....Hollywood cause that where I got her. Malibu cause he is so dark. Elvis he is my box turtle. And Chico is where my hatchling was shipped from.

Status
Not open for further replies.