New to the crew šŸ¢

chelvan49

Location (City and/or State)
Nj
Hello everyone! I just recently adopted a 10-12 year old male Russian Tortoise, Milo! I am in love already, he is in pretty poor condition his beak is over grown and he had a lot of feces stuck to shell, legs, neck. His enclosure is hand made and beautiful but could tell the flooring hadnā€™t been changed in quite sometimeā€¦ anyway, got him home gave him a soak and a toothbrush rub down, had some hissing but overall he seemed to appreciate it. Gave him all new materials and have been trying to give him his space Iā€™m afraid to stress him to much. I have installed a Tortoise cam so I can watch him from afar I have offered him everything from strawberries, spinach, spring mix,green beans,blueberries, and carrots he also has a cuddle bone but he hasnā€™t seem to touch anything. First time owner any suggestions? Also should I soak him again? Last soak was Thursday night when I brought him home! Open to anything again I am learning and want to give him an amazing life. Pictures of Milo posted! I even caught a yawn this morning after turning on his lights! šŸ˜šŸ¢šŸ„±

Attachments

• 3DF5B2C4-3586-4A16-A153-3400E60B6DA5.jpeg
    3DF5B2C4-3586-4A16-A153-3400E60B6DA5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 345B5EA1-6059-4991-9CA5-6749C92CE136.jpeg
    345B5EA1-6059-4991-9CA5-6749C92CE136.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 8679B6BF-4981-4F40-BA51-CF5AAF60E900.jpeg
    8679B6BF-4981-4F40-BA51-CF5AAF60E900.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • 7015220D-AA30-4A36-8C28-5579A1A2628C.jpeg
    7015220D-AA30-4A36-8C28-5579A1A2628C.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 4

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome. Thereā€™s a ton of ā€œhow toā€ under the Russian section, including size of enclosures, heating, lighting, substrate & food.

Donā€™t worry that itā€™s not eating (yet), itā€™s settling in.

And, yes! Give your guy a nice warm water soaking daily. It will really help itā€™s overall health. Add hydration. Etc.

āž”ļøāž”ļø https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threa...ise-any-temperate-species-of-tortoise.183131/

chelvan49

Nj
Welcome. Thereā€™s a ton of ā€œhow toā€ under the Russian section, including size of enclosures, heating, lighting, substrate & food.

Donā€™t worry that itā€™s not eating (yet), itā€™s settling in.

And, yes! Give your guy a nice warm water soaking daily. It will really help itā€™s overall health. Add hydration. Etc.
Thank you for such a warm welcome! I will go check out the Russian section now! I would assume still offer a wide variety of food daily until I see him finally settle?

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Yes, keep the food available, when he gets hungry, he'll decide to eat . .

chelvan49

Nj
Oh yes! I know that one has been giving me problems, I have two the one works on the other side I ordered another it should be here today or tomorrow
Oh I just clicked your link, thatā€™s fancy!

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thank you! I will run out and grab one today!
Since his beak is so overgrown, he may be having trouble eating - try cutting his food up quite small - this will also increase the scent of it - it may make it easier to cope with. Also he may have been fed a very limited diet, and may be suspicious of the nice things you are offering.
Poor little chap - when he gets over his anxiety, he will have a very much better life with you - thank you for taking him on.
Angie

chelvan49

Nj
Since his beak is so overgrown, he may be having trouble eating - try cutting his food up quite small - this will also increase the scent of it - it may make it easier to cope with. Also he may have been fed a very limited diet, and may be suspicious of the nice things you are offering.
Poor little chap - when he gets over his anxiety, he will have a very much better life with you - thank you for taking him on.
Angie
Thank you for the kind words and help, I will make all of his food smaller in hopes to help him eat

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome, thanks for taking it in and providing it a new home. Tortoise like to crawl onto / into their food and water so suggest you change the food and water dishes to flower pot bases that are big enough. Whilst sweet stuff is yummy for us they can not digest it govfor green leaves and flowers.

this is a handy database.