New to the form...Hi everyone

dmokeegan

Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Hi everyone,
My name is Danielle, and I live in New Hampshire. I joined this form because my husband and I have been researching and trying to learn as much as we can before we get our own tortoise.
If anyone has any pointers or can help me out that would be great!
We are looking into as Eastern Hermann...does anyone have fun facts about them or is there anything I should know about them prior to getting one? Is there is different kind of tortoise I should look into?
Is it better to get them younger or older?
Are they better in pairs or alone?
Again we have never had a tortoise...we do have two beardies, two corn snakes, two ball pythons, and two cats.

Thanks,
Dani

RumWeatherReptiles

5 Year Member
New Jersey
Welcome Dani, eastern hermann’s is a popular tortoise. However seeing as you are in New Hampshire i assume your tortoise will be inside most of the year indoors. It may be worth the slightly higher price to go with a Western Hermanns. They are very similar but stay a bit smaller. Worth a look at least.

dmokeegan

New Hampshire
Welcome Dani, eastern hermann’s is a popular tortoise. However seeing as you are in New Hampshire i assume your tortoise will be inside most of the year indoors. It may be worth the slightly higher price to go with a Western Hermanns. They are very similar but stay a bit smaller. Worth a look at least.
Thanks for the input, my husband and I have been looking into multiple options. I just want to make sure that we can give them the best life and make sure we pick the breed that would do the best in our weather.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Welcome to TFO!

I live with a redfoot tortoise down near Keene, NH, and we're counting the days until I can get him outside to do some grazing and solar charging.

This is a great place to do your research.

Jamie

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome don't know much about hermann's but torts don't do well in pairs. One will become dominant. So unless you have the capability to have 2 enclosures. I think you will find here that is not recommended. Good luck in your choice. @HermanniChris is a good source of information.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Danielle, and welcome to the Forum!