shaynao

Location (City and/or State)
Rohnert Park
Hello! I need some help with our tortoise. He was given to me by a friend about 3 years ago, and he's about 9 years old. I think he is a Greek or Mediterranean tortoise. In the last couple years, he has been pretty aggressive, and I think he just needs a mate. It's gotten pretty bad, recently, to the point that any time he sees me coming to give him food, he runs up and tries to bite my fingers or ram his shell into my hand. Sometimes I try to hand feed him, but he goes for the fingers. I feel bad, because we are very busy, and don't have a lot of time to "play" with him. How do you play with a tortoise, anyhow? I try and keep his box interesting with different balls and things to look at... He just walks in circles and tries to dig himself out in the corners. Is he bored? Does he need more attention? Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you for reading.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tortoises do not play. However he does need a proper sized enclosure. Minimum of a 4x8 foot.
Post pic and we can help better.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He tries to bite your fingers because he thinks they are food Stop hand feeding him. Use tongs if you feel you must hand feed him. Also you really need to know what species he is so you can care for him properly. Photos are needed for that

shaynao

Rohnert Park
Thank you all. I appreciate your responses. Here’s a picture. His shell is approx 6-7” in length and about 4-4.5” wide. And his enclosure is approx 2’x4’. Not the best picture, I apologize. I’m thinking we may need to give him to a better home that can accommodate a larger box. Last summer, we enclosed probably about a 4x6’ space outside for him to enjoy the summer weather. Even still he tried to climb out.

E80C5AB1-F072-4918-BAC1-C5BE50C351D5.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Two things, but most important - the indoor space is too small.

The other thing - he's male and Greek males are aggressive. You just have to live with it. Don't get him a playmate, they're solitary by nature.

When the weather warms up and he can go back outside, add a few potted plants around in the enclosure to make it feel safer for him and not so wide open.

shaynao

Rohnert Park
Two things, but most important - the indoor space is too small.

The other thing - he's male and Greek males are aggressive. You just have to live with it. Don't get him a playmate, they're solitary by nature.

When the weather warms up and he can go back outside, add a few potted plants around in the enclosure to make it feel safer for him and not so wide open.
Thank you, yes looking forward to letting him outside again, and I love the plant idea, thank you! Was thinking of adding some dandelion flowers. But the issue is the indoor enclosure. We just don't have the space... :(

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Thank you all. I appreciate your responses. Here’s a picture. His shell is approx 6-7” in length and about 4-4.5” wide. And his enclosure is approx 2’x4’. Not the best picture, I apologize. I’m thinking we may need to give him to a better home that can accommodate a larger box. Last summer, we enclosed probably about a 4x6’ space outside for him to enjoy the summer weather. Even still he tried to climb out.

View attachment 318992

That beak doesnt look right, looks like an underbite, probably needs some trimming work to make his mouth close correctly again.

Also, I also have a male greek, hes very aggressive, squares up, charges, bites, rams, all that. If you put a female with him he will do all that to her in addition to mating with her far too frequently. He doesnt need or want a companion, he just wants to rule his territory without competition.

shaynao

Rohnert Park
That beak doesnt look right, looks like an underbite, probably needs some trimming work to make his mouth close correctly again.

Also, I also have a male greek, hes very aggressive, squares up, charges, bites, rams, all that. If you put a female with him he will do all that to her in addition to mating with her far too frequently. He doesnt need or want a companion, he just wants to rule his territory without competition.
Yes, he definitely has an underbite and claws are very long in back. Any suggestions on how to trim both? I've tried to file, but he squirms and tucks his head in, making it very difficult.

I really appreciate everyone responding. Feeling very guilty and like I've neglected this poor creature by not taking care of him properly.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Try putting is some line of vision blocks i.e low rocks and stones warm up and slate . A hide to break up seeing the whole enclosure in one go. I agree to get his beak checked and if you can soak it 1 or 2 times a week in warm 35 degrees C for 30 mins. This helps keep it clean, hydrated and they drink. Move to clean water bowl after 15 min or so when water is mucky! Enjoy your tortoise looks lively and nice.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

View attachment 318992
You just North of SF? Don't be in such a hurry, unless you WANT to give him up.The outside spot sounds ok, I think he is trying to get out, because he's been out. I'd put him out, weather permitting, then you go in and leave him alone. Set your clock so he's out for a good long time, and you don't get him before. Remember you are the boss

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yes, he definitely has an underbite and claws are very long in back. Any suggestions on how to trim both? I've tried to file, but he squirms and tucks his head in, making it very difficult.

I really appreciate everyone responding. Feeling very guilty and like I've neglected this poor creature by not taking care of him properly.

Well the top beak doesnt actually look that bad but usually this happens when the top overgrows and begins to catch the bottom and damages it. The bottom part of the beak needs trimming back a lot so that it fits inside the upper part, they should overlap slightly. I cant see very clearly whats happening with the lower part, it may be a part of the lower beak is broken a bit and sticking out, or it may have grown that way over time. You can trim it with a sharp finger nail clipper normally and an emery board to smooth things out, vets tend to use a dremmel tool to grind it down. There is a technique to holding their head out so they cant retract it, there is a point behind their ear membranes you can pinch firmly. They are strong though and its easier said than done and it isnt easy to do delecate work that way. Im kind of inclined to suggest you find a vet with tort experience nearby if you can, overgrown/damaged beaks are probably something they actually see a lot of. The vet also has the option to sedate the tort if the trim is complex or potentially painful.