New to the Forum and New to the Tort World

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennsmom52

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bay Area, CA
Hello,
My name is Misty. Last Saturday I traded two dwarf lop rabbits (for allergy reasons) for a 10 year old Russian Tortoise. The nine year old owner had lost interest in him as well as the boy before him. I am now the third owner and am so happy to have him. I have been doing a lot of reading and learning in the last couple of days.
He is very small for his age. I took him over to a small local pet shop here in town and got his opinion. He evened out a few of his nails for me. They are a bit on the long side. The pet shop owner told me he shows signs of being male and female. The bottom of his shell is flat, but his tail is large and goes to one side. The back of his shell also curves down a bit. I was told he is a bit puggy and could use some excersize.
His eating has been slow, but consistent. He is going to the bathroom and seems active. He loves to be out on the front lawn. We are keeping him inside this winter, but plan to make him an outside enclosure in the spring. I've taken him out daily to sun and exercise. I've soaked him twice.

image-3099473704.png

This is his indoor enclosure that he came with. I added the hideout since he didn't have anywhere to hide. You will see a radish in there. I'm trying to figure out what his likes and dislikes are. I will be changing the substrate in the next couple days. They used corncob in the past. I'm not really liking the lights, any suggestions? I was also told that his beak is a little over grown.
I am so excited to have had this new door opened for me. I'm hoping my family and I can make "Rocky" very happy. All comments and suggestions are welcome.

image-3080768292.png

image-3300135196.png

image-3264179448.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Misty!!

I hope you don't get offended, but I settled on the name "Misty" for my new puppy before I met you. She's very pretty, if that helps any. :p

Russian (or steppe) tortoises are very small. Your tortoise is probably 8 or 10 years old. The males don't get a concave plastron, it stays flat. The only way to tell is by the tail. A male's tail if very long/fat while a female's tail is just a little stub.

ColorfulTortoise

5 Year Member
New England
Welcome to the forum! I have found this site to have lots of nice people and valuable information. :shy:

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are awesome :)

jennsmom52

5 Year Member
Bay Area, CA
emysemys said:
Welcome, Misty!!

I hope you don't get offended, but I settled on the name "Misty" for my new puppy before I met you. She's very pretty, if that helps any. :p

No offense taken. When I met my step-father as a child he had a cat named Misty :O)

Status
Not open for further replies.