New to the forum and possible owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

I have been doing a lot of thinking after seeing that they now sell tortoises at my local petsmart. It got me thinking about a box turtle I had as a child and adored. I now have a 21 month old son, a Boston Terrier, and a cat and very much debating on getting a tortoise. While looking around on the interwebs as you do I came across this forum many times and it seems like a wealth of info. All that being said I live in a house in Texas (a little north of Dallas) and I am having trouble determining what would be the best set of choices for myself and my family if we decide to add a tortoise to the clan. I have a large backyard but we do have a cat so that concerns me. I am also unsure of what type of tortoise would be best. We wouldnt want a really large one I know for sure but there seems to be so many wonderful choices! I was also interested in what would be best for my climate as I would like to have both an inside and outside enclosure for it. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated!

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Update: I believe a Hermann's would be the best for our family. Now locating the best place to get one in my area seems to be defeating me :(

Any ideas? :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Cap!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) look in our for sale section. You might find a forum member breeder there. You can send them a pm and see when they might be expecting some hatchlings, or they might have some available now. Good luck and don't forget to share pics of your new family member when you get it.. BTW, I don't think you need to worry about you cat as much as you need to keep the dog away from the tortoise. The two don't ever mix.

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and Welcome:) look in our for sale section. You might find a forum member breeder there. You can send them a pm and see when they might be expecting some hatchlings, or they might have some available now. Good luck and don't forget to share pics of your new family member when you get it.. BTW, I don't think you need to worry about you cat as much as you need to keep the dog away from the tortoise. The two don't ever mix.
Awesome thank you for the info! My dog is a Boston Terrier who pretty much lays around all day. I doubt he will even look over the wall of the enclosure lol.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Welcome.

How large are you thinking? You mentioned the box turtle you had when you where a child they don't get big by tortoise standards and also you mentioned hermanns, easterns that can get up to 8-11" I could concider to be medium tortoise. (Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) I believe being in texas you should have the climate for a leopard or a salcuata they get big

CapnAwes0me

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
Welcome.

How large are you thinking? You mentioned the box turtle you had when you where a child they don't get big by tortoise standards and also you mentioned hermanns, easterns that can get up to 8-11" I could concider to be medium tortoise. (Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong) I believe being in texas you should have the climate for a leopard or a salcuata they get big

I was thinking something around 12" max would be fine. Where I live its still pretty humid and we have hot summers and usually a few cold weeks (below freezing) The difference between a tortoise and box turtle seem to be immense so I will def need a beginner tortoise. Any suggestions or tips are much appreciated!

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
Welcome :) Russians are a great beginner tortoise :)

Linda Regina

5 Year Member
CapnAwes0me said:
Hey everyone,

I have been doing a lot of thinking after seeing that they now sell tortoises at my local petsmart. It got me thinking about a box turtle I had as a child and adored. I now have a 21 month old son, a Boston Terrier, and a cat and very much debating on getting a tortoise. While looking around on the interwebs as you do I came across this forum many times and it seems like a wealth of info. All that being said I live in a house in Texas (a little north of Dallas) and I am having trouble determining what would be the best set of choices for myself and my family if we decide to add a tortoise to the clan. I have a large backyard but we do have a cat so that concerns me. I am also unsure of what type of tortoise would be best. We wouldnt want a really large one I know for sure but there seems to be so many wonderful choices! I was also interested in what would be best for my climate as I would like to have both an inside and outside enclosure for it. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated!

I'm new here too, my name is Linda Regina,,,well i am planning to get a tortoise too, i am going slow, because i am in recovery from being sick. i wanted to say Hi,,,,,most people here seem to already have a tortoise,,,i have never really been AROUND them,,only on the Youtube and a big huge unhappy one at a zoo. i had no idea there were even different kinds.....ok,,,,are they like babies like they need ur attention.....do u talk to them,,,do they respond....what else kind of animal are they like? a dog maybe???

Status
Not open for further replies.