New to the forum, and to tortoises!

aidbre94

Location (City and/or State)
Barrie, ON, CAN
Hello! I’m from central/north Ontario, Canada and I’m the proud papa of a 7 month old CBB Russian! I’ve been very hesitant to post as it’s a bit intimidating seeing all these experienced people but I thought I’d finally do it.

I’ve been following the care guides pretty well and still have improvements to make but some of it is tough being from this 3 month a year summer place lol. I’ll get there and forever learning!

I want to ask some experienced keeper how my little dude/dudettes shell looks? Im constantly paranoid about pyramiding and I really am the biggest helicopter reptile parent there is, I own 4 snakes who are all pampered lol. Humidity stays above 60% almost all the time in the tub and night spikes up to like 85 (no heat at night just 70-75 room temp) and their humid hide is always 85%+ and 99% at night. All damp coir throughout the enclosure except maybe under the lamp it gets a bit dryer but I try and keep it moist. Looking forward to opinions, and welcomes!!!

He/she really is my baby and I’m trying really hard to give them a great life. I just want to see how the shell is doing at this point as a baseline because I’m right paranoid. Is the slight bumpiness I see just Russian growth as I’ve read they’re a little messier in their growth than some others species.

Attachments

• 58529873-AD61-4129-B641-6FCCC476D5E8.jpeg
    58529873-AD61-4129-B641-6FCCC476D5E8.jpeg
    936.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 4AFD4F63-FED3-481E-BCA3-B45B51310EA9.jpeg
    4AFD4F63-FED3-481E-BCA3-B45B51310EA9.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • A8D21864-D3B7-40F3-8AA1-686EDD683058.jpeg
    A8D21864-D3B7-40F3-8AA1-686EDD683058.jpeg
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 26EF2442-9805-4EEA-951D-36982A56FD46.jpeg
    26EF2442-9805-4EEA-951D-36982A56FD46.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 3AE34FC9-82D0-46E4-9306-C07986F56D15.jpeg
    3AE34FC9-82D0-46E4-9306-C07986F56D15.jpeg
    874 KB · Views: 11

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Hello! I’m from central/north Ontario, Canada and I’m the proud papa of a 7 month old CBB Russian! I’ve been very hesitant to post as it’s a bit intimidating seeing all these experienced people but I thought I’d finally do it.

I’ve been following the care guides pretty well and still have improvements to make but some of it is tough being from this 3 month a year summer place lol. I’ll get there and forever learning!

I want to ask some experienced keeper how my little dude/dudettes shell looks? Im constantly paranoid about pyramiding and I really am the biggest helicopter reptile parent there is, I own 4 snakes who are all pampered lol. Humidity stays above 60% almost all the time in the tub and night spikes up to like 85 (no heat at night just 70-75 room temp) and their humid hide is always 85%+ and 99% at night. All damp coir throughout the enclosure except maybe under the lamp it gets a bit dryer but I try and keep it moist. Looking forward to opinions, and welcomes!!!

He/she really is my baby and I’m trying really hard to give them a great life. I just want to see how the shell is doing at this point as a baseline because I’m right paranoid. Is the slight bumpiness I see just Russian growth as I’ve read they’re a little messier in their growth than some others species.
Russians don't pyramid that easily welcome

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Welcome to the forum! I’m in Saskatchewan. I’m happy to see another Canadian here, so glad you posted and shared pics of your cute little guy. He’s adorable and I think his shell looks great. What name did you pick for him?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome, I would say full marks so far so good.

Looks smooth, you have a nice ring of new growth and black pigment filling in. Keep doing what your doing. I suggest a weekly weight log to check for weight gain and loss and actually, I find it so satisfying to see a growth spurt. Ensure calcium is part of her diet to ensure strong shell growth and keep watching the shell. Regular soaks will help enormously. Enjoy

aidbre94

Barrie, ON, CAN
Thank you for your input!

Looks smooth, you have a nice ring of new growth and black pigment filling in. Keep doing what your doing. I suggest a weekly weight log to check for weight gain and loss and actually, I find it so satisfying to see a growth spurt. Ensure calcium is part of her diet to ensure strong shell growth and keep watching the shell. Regular soaks will help enormously. Enjoy
They get
Welcome to the forum! I’m in Saskatchewan. I’m happy to see another Canadian here, so glad you posted and shared pics of your cute little guy. He’s adorable and I think his shell looks great. What name did you pick for him?
Their name is Thanos! If they end up being a girl, then Thanos may become Thumbelina 😂

aidbre94

Barrie, ON, CAN

Thank you! They get soaks daily and sleep in their humid hide every night. Calcium with d3 once a week and calcium without once a week. A vitamin without d3 once a week & a varied diet with cuttle bone always available. I’m so happy I’ve been doing a good job.

AmandaF

Congresbury

Welcome, your tortoise looks lovely
amanda