New to the forum, but not to tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-JM

5 Year Member
Hey everyone!

As the subject line says, I'm new to the forum. I am not, however, new to tortoises. While I do not own a tortoise (as I am waiting until I am better able to provide them with the room and resources they need and deserve) I have worked extensively with them and other reptiles at the local zoo.

I have always had a love of animals, and as I have grown it has become plain to me that I need to work with them to keep me happy :) I have just completed my internship at the zoo, where I spent my time in the herpetology department. Most of my days were spent interacting with the zoos sulcatas, three male Galapagos tortoises, and a single male redfoot tortoise. I also cared for many red-ear slider turtles, a diamond back terrapin, box turtles, alligator snappers, common snappers, a mata-mata turtle, and a yellow belly amazon river turtle, as well as iguanas, geckos, legless lizards, caiman, alligators, snakes of every kind, and a cat :)

I've joined the forum because I am very interested in continuing to care for these remarkable creatures and would like to interact with like-minded people.

<3 I hope that I can continue to learn from the people in this forum, as well as lend my knowledge where it may be needed!

-JM

5 Year Member
I'm hoping to upload them soon, just looking for the correct forum (since I don't own any of the animals).
Also, where did you get your Galapagos? Is it a pet or are you part of a program?

-JM

5 Year Member
You're very lucky! Galaps make great companions and are very personable and intelligent! I don't exactly understand their availability in the private sector, but if we can get their numbers up enough so that they are, it would be terrific (so long as their keepers are educated in their handling)! I was under the impression you had to have a permit or something to own a galap because of their protected status.

I don't official "work" there, because I'm working on getting my undergrad degree and can't fill the hours required by both :( BUT!
I did a 3 month internship at the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, Texas, and continue to volunteer there in my free time. Though, honestly, I did all the same stuff as the official keepers, just not on a paycheck. It was basically the best time of my life!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
-JM said:
You're very lucky! Galaps make great companions and are very personable and intelligent! I don't exactly understand their availability in the private sector, but if we can get their numbers up enough so that they are, it would be terrific (so long as their keepers are educated in their handling)! I was under the impression you had to have a permit or something to own a galap because of their protected status.

I don't official "work" there, because I'm working on getting my undergrad degree and can't fill the hours required by both :( BUT!
I did a 3 month internship at the Cameron Park Zoo in Waco, Texas, and continue to volunteer there in my free time. Though, honestly, I did all the same stuff as the official keepers, just not on a paycheck. It was basically the best time of my life!

Yes Littlefoot is by far the smartest tortoise I have ever had. Last night, she fell asleep in her watering hole, because most nights, it stayed very warm. However, in the middle of the night when it got kinda cold, she climbed out of her hole, and walked completely across my yard into her heated hot box. I was amazing to see her to that completely on her own. Very proud! :)

I dont need any permits for galaps if I buy her in the same state that I live in, and she doesnt leave the state, and I dont sell her (which I doubt I would ever do) outside the state. I am in California.

I am pretty sure she is a female, and she is coming up on 10 years old now, so I might want to get her a mate. How big and old are the males at the zoo? Would they be open to a breeder loan program in the future when Littlefoot is ready?

I am flying in my little Cessna this weekend to Dallas, how far is that? Maybe I could stop by and see the galaps. I can stop at any local airport between Los Angeles and Dallas on the trip to and from. Let me know! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi JM:

Welcome to the forum!! Always glad to see new folks join up and share.

-JM

5 Year Member
I don't know about a breeding program. Two of the males are upwards of 80 years and one of them is young (I don't know exactly how young).

However, I'm sure you could find a breeding program closer to home! I don't think CPZ is especially interested in breeding, but I could be wrong, and it never hurts to make an inquiry. There's a zoo in Dallas you could see while you're in town. I hear they have a really good herp program. If you're set on seeing the three galaps at CPZ, it's about an hour and a half south from Dallas.

http://www.cameronparkzoo.com/

here's the link for the CPZ

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Don't forget...you have to know your sub species so you can breed to the same kind.

-JM

5 Year Member
The ones at CPZ are at least two species. I know that Skipper is a different subspecies than Gilligan or the Professor, but I don't know exactly what type any of them are. My boss told me on the first day of my internship, but I learned so much so quick that many of those factoids didn't manage to stick. I will see if I can find out, though!

Also, here is the link to the photos! finally got them up!

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-17170.html

-JM

5 Year Member
Thank you very much! I'm reading as much as I can, and am learning a lot. This is a great resource!

laura13617

5 Year Member
midwest
welcome to a great site:) look forward to great stories of ur intern days at the zoo. what a great opprutunity!

Status
Not open for further replies.