New to the forum! Introduction

krh1

Hi everyone!

I'm new to forum and thinking about getting my first tortoise. I have some experience with amphibians but this would be my first reptile. I'm at least a year or two away from purchasing but I figure it's never to early to start with the research! Any pointers anyone has on good "beginner" breeds would be much appreciated! My biggest concern is that I live in Saskatchewan, Canada so with the exception of the summer months, the tortoise will have to spend the majority of the year inside. While I love the look of the Redfoot tortoises, I'm leaning more towards a Russian or Hermanns tortoise because of this. Would either of those breeds do well indoors for up to 9 months of the year (given an ~8' x 4' enclosure, appropriate lighting/heating, etc...)? I'm also willing to consider box turtles if they would be better given my weather-related limitations!

Also, are there any recommendations on breeders near Saskatchewan? I'm more interested in getting an adult tortoise but would consider a younger one if the breed is particularly hardy!

Thanks!
Kate

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California, bay area

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Hello, welcome to the forum. Any of the smaller tortoises would work. As well as box turtles. But you are right you will definitely have to have a large enclosure, very good lighting and heat. I would also suggest that you get a temperature gun and a uv index meter. Russians, Greeks, Herman's, box turtles are all small and would adapt to an indoor enclosure when needed. Some of them hibernate but it is debatable on whether you have to hibernate them or not. There are also tortoises such as hinge backs and marginated. I don't know a lot about them immensely them from but I have heard good things about them. Check out the species specific sections here on the forum and they will give you some good ideas about each toward a species.
If you do decide to get a hatchling just know that it is much more critical to have the set up correct before you even get the tortoise. They are more fragile overall. And I wouldn't get a pair, pears do not do well no matter what species. You have come for the right place for all the most updated information. Keep researching here and ask questions along the way.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ, USA . Hermanns Rule ! We have a member that has skullys in Alaska ! So you can raise what you want if you have the money . :) and these are my Hermanns : ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428786749.247968.jpg they are outside. Year around .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Katie, and welcome to the Forum!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Katie and welcome to the forum.
I would recommend greeks as a great starter tortoise, but I am extremely biased.
They are tough, small, outgoing and relatively easier to care for than some breeds, in my opinion.
Good luck in your research.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Welcome to TFO Katie!! You came to the right place to raise a happy & healthy tortoise!!

ShellyDaddy

shellydaddy here, New thing for me (forums) I have a sulcata and she's? 28 monthes old ,active ,alart and responsive to my voice No pics yet but hopefully coming soon! We live in northern Delaware area I have a 30in. by 65in.pad for shelly indoors, with proper lighting and temps and a 5 foot by8 foot closed in area outside for her. she seems content with both. Just wanted to say hay and introduce ourselves to this forum! I, like others, have questions about such loveable pets and have long happy ,healthy lives together So with that said ,later andreturn with nice pitchers!!!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
shellydaddy here, New thing for me (forums) I have a sulcata and she's? 28 monthes old ,active ,alart and responsive to my voice No pics yet but hopefully coming soon! We live in northern Delaware area I have a 30in. by 65in.pad for shelly indoors, with proper lighting and temps and a 5 foot by8 foot closed in area outside for her. she seems content with both. Just wanted to say hay and introduce ourselves to this forum! I, like others, have questions about such loveable pets and have long happy ,healthy lives together So with that said ,later andreturn with nice pitchers!!!
Hi ShellyDaddy and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Have a look at the sulcata section under African Tortoises here for lots of useful info, particularly the care sheet pinned to the top.
It might be a good idea to go to Introductions or the Sulcata forum and open your own thread to post pics and ask all the questions you have.
See you soon.