New to the Forum! Meet Kemba :)

NelsonWilliams

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hello everyone! This will be my first time posting on the forum, but I have been using a lot of the posts I’ve seen from you guys to meet the needs our new little Leopard tortoise, Kemba. We picked up up from a reptile expo a little over a week ago. They told us he was about 6 weeks old.
We are using reptibark, cypress mulch, and coco coir as his substrates. We have 2 heat lamps running during during the daytime hours with a night night bulb from sundown to sunrise. The UVB bar is on during the daylight hours as well.
The diet for kemba has been a little tricky so far. He loved eating a spring mix when we first got him. But now as we try to add a variety to his diet (prickly pear, romaine lettuce, grassland tortoise diet, and dandelion greens) he doesn’t seem to have an appetite. We bathe him daily and he’s starting to enjoy that. But we are concerned with his lack of appetite as he seems to eat less and less each day.
He doesn’t seem to like the areas on his enclosure that hold humidity. He chooses to stay in the reptibark almost 90% of the time. Not sure if that could be an issue?

IMG_6339.jpgIMG_6344.jpgIMG_6348.jpgIMG_6338.jpg

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hi Nelson
What are your torts temps most of the time when torts cut back on their food is cause they are little cool .
IMG_1904.jpg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum! How old is Kemba? I’ve got zero experience with babies but I’m wondering if he needs more humidity?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You should cover the enclosure to keep the warm, moist air inside. I offer my little leopards a mixture of dandelion, mallow, prickly lettuce, romaine, butter lettuce, green/red leaf lettuce, grass (cut into bite-sized pieces with the scissors), filaree, endive, escarole, and any other weeds that are growing at the moment. I chop it all up into very tiny pieces, add a bit of grated zucchini and mix it all up. Add a few fake plants around inside the enclosure to give him a safer, more closed in feel. The temperature needs to be 80-85F all over the whole habitat, day and night. That can only be achieved by covering the enclosure.