New to the forum

magik

Location (City and/or State)
Dexter,OR
I have two torts rite now. A red foot girl ? 2 yrs old and a sulcata hatchling. My red foot Rubi isn't very social.,.is that the norm for them? I had a three toed girl for 23 yrs. Lost her two yrs ago and decided to get a tort. The turtle was very social, came out every day to visit and definitely had her favorite people. Rubi hides out and will stay there for days if I would let her.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

You can't beat box turtles for human/turtle interaction. They are great little "pets." But you can't compare turtles and tortoises. Your RF tortoise will become more humanized the longer it lives with you and interacts with you, and especially once it determines that you are the food god. I would take Ruby out each morning and place her in a little tub of warm water while you cut up and prepare her daily meal. Then put the food on the feeding tile, get the tortoise and set her in front of the food. The more you handle her, the less scared she will be. I wouldn't allow her to hide for days. Get her out and place her in front of the food every time you walk by the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Most young tortoises are a bit fearful and cautious. This instinct helps babies survive in a dangerous world. In time, they get used to their people and routine, and most of them get very bold and outgoing. I like Yvonne's tips.

I find sulcatas tend to get much more outgoing around year 3 or 4. I don't have experience raising RFs, but I'll guess they have a similar time frame.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome
Although Redfoot are one of the few tortoises that anyone could consider social, it's still a toss up if you get one that interacts with its owner.
Mine doesn't seem to care about me at all. But I don't take it personally.

jsheffield

5 Year Member
Westmoreland, NH
Darwin, my redfoot, had only recently become comfortable enough in his surroundings to explore his enclosure ... early on in our acquaintance he stayed in one of the hides most of the time, only ate during soaks, and seemed terrified of me ... that's all changing as he gets used to his new environment.

IMG_7120.jpg

Jamie